Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 93159 times)

CharlieSummers

Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »
I routinely recommend the Pro version of Avast to my business clients. After seeing this disgusting advertisement on my daughter's netbook earlier today, I will not do so again.

I recommended AVG until they got annoying with the advertisements. I recommended Avira until they got annoying with the advertisements. It is clear Avast is going down the same road, so I'll get ahead of the curve. Hopefully marketing has some charts and graphs that show how ticking off their users and those who recommend the software can be offset by the handful of people who will buy into these foolish in-your-face adverts.

Skyline

« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »
removed nested quote

It does not fit the definition of adware. To be adware it has to promote the use of an outside product that is paying the company for inserting an install option into their installer. A company making people aware of special deals on it's own products is not adware in any sense of the word. It does not make the free version of Avast ad supported at all. The new toolbar option (yes it is an option, not a forced install) in the free Avira does constitute being ad supported since they are being paid by another company for doing it.

You are splitting hairs. Adware is a portmanteau of "advertising" and "software", just as freeware is free software, spyware is software that spies on the user, and hardware is crunchy and does not melt in your mouth. Adware is advertising-supported free software, how it gets onto the computer is not relevant. Do you remember Bonzi Buddy, way back around the early 2000s? It was Clippy running 24/7 (Oh God, the horror), printing pop-up ads incessantly. That is adware. You're technically right in that this would make Avast nagware, in the same class as how Limewire (when it existed) would ask the user to upgrade to the Pro version on every startup, and yet this is irrelevant because pop-up ads are still annoying.

Did you bring enough Snickers for the rest of the class?

malta

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2011, 12:58:43 AM »
Well, the first time I got the pop-up ad it freaked me out a bit because it looked like a virus warning. Once I read it and realized it was an ad I just X'd it out, no biggie.

I got a second pop-up ad today and just shrugged and did the same. I don't see it as a huge issue and I love Avast and will continue to use it because it has kept my system(s) safe for years now.

My two cents!

Gargamel360

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »
hardware is crunchy and does not melt in your mouth.
Wait, I can eat my MOBO?  Why didn't anyone tell me this before?!  Let me guess, it tastes like chicken? ;D

Did you bring enough Snickers for the rest of the class?
No, I ate the rest, before I knew I could eat my hardware. ;)

Offline rob24

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
I also noticed this just moment ago.

See screenshot.
I just got the same popup about 20 mins ago.
Someone might have already said so, but the popup said that it said 'Buy avast! Pro Antivirus for the lowest price ever at £9.99'. Click the popup and it is £29.99. Eh. Not the great bargain after all. I might have been tempted to go for Pro at £9.99 in fact I would have. Oh well.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2011, 01:43:15 AM »
Yes, something is screwed up and the link isn't working as it should. The last time of this offer it did show 9.99.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »
There is no such thing as a NON-intrusive pop-up, imo.  Sky is blue, water is wet, pop-ups are intrusive.  That why I suggested what I did. You are not increasing intrusiveness much when the existing pop-up is already displayed at least once per-boot already.

If the pop up would "steal" the focus (of your current window or whichever other object or job being done), I would agree 100% with you.

When you perform a manual database update (as oppose to the default "automatic" database updates), the full main GUI of Avast shows up. That's a "no no". That's "stealing" the focus.

The tray notifications "MUST" be improved. There are bugs; the colors should be changed (specially now with these ads), they should be easily configured for transparency (optional, so system resources for "cool" multimedia features should still be optional and not by default) and so on. But the need for improvements doesn't mean that they are completely intrusive.

Being "clear", so the user can easily identify them as "important", "critical", "general info" or whatever is, IMHO, more important than appearing over the tray area "a few times per year" (and let's hope it is REALLY a few times per year).

I routinely recommend the Pro version of Avast to my business clients. After seeing this disgusting advertisement on my daughter's netbook earlier today, I will not do so again.

I don't see the relation. The Free edition of Avast is not for business. I would agree that a paying business should not receive this tray notification ads. For making offers for businesses, there are better (more respectful) ways, so Avast Software shouldn't take that path. But we are not taking about businesses, are we?

ady4um

« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2011, 01:50:13 AM »
Yes, something is screwed up and the link isn't working as it should. The last time of this offer it did show 9.99.
Maybe the 9.99 is the "discount", not the final price?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2011, 01:54:09 AM »
No, certainly not... something must have gone wrong.

CharlieSummers

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2011, 02:26:49 AM »
I don't see the relation.

Of course you don't. Clearly you don't mind that the company has decided to advertise in this fashion (and have made that abundantly clear) and so can't comprehend why anyone else would be bothered by it, but I do, and so will no longer act as an unpaid salesman for them. I don't trust them anymore to act in my or their customers' best interests. They have shown themselves to be no better than AVG or Avira, so I won't recommend their products to anyone, free or pro.

The "relation" is between Avast and me. They have violated that relationship by sending a pop-up advertisement to my daughter's netbook (the very thing I expected them to prevent), so I am hardly going to promote them. And if you can't "see" it now, there's no point in my continuing to explain. I have made my position, I believe, equally clear.

Tgell

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:28 AM »
I just received the ad again: Pro for $9.99. Clicked the link and got a connection time out.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2011, 02:42:27 AM »
No, certainly not... something must have gone wrong.

I take it this means there will have to be another test now ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2011, 02:44:38 AM »
I just received the ad again: Pro for $9.99. Clicked the link and got a connection time out.

Possibly because of what was mentioned about the price point being incorrect in Reply #109 above, e.g. no discount at the web page, which will have to be corrected.

ady4um

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2011, 02:47:47 AM »
I don't see the relation.

Of course you don't. Clearly you don't mind that the company has decided to advertise in this fashion (and have made that abundantly clear) and so can't comprehend why anyone else would be bothered by it, but I do, and so will no longer act as an unpaid salesman for them. I don't trust them anymore to act in my or their customers' best interests. They have shown themselves to be no better than AVG or Avira, so I won't recommend their products to anyone, free or pro.

The "relation" is between Avast and me. They have violated that relationship by sending a pop-up advertisement to my daughter's netbook (the very thing I expected them to prevent), so I am hardly going to promote them. And if you can't "see" it now, there's no point in my continuing to explain. I have made my position, I believe, equally clear.

The positions/opinions about these ads are not only "zero" or 100% for or against. There are middle grounds too. Although you are wrongly assuming some things about me, I do respect your point of view.

Nesivos

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2011, 03:16:31 AM »
I don't believe there is I just got it today also, but it was also an offer (Summertime Savings) as well a general ad.

Personally I don't feel it is that much hassle, but the Orange grabs your attention when used in the same pop-up style as updates and alerts and automatically I though an update had failed, etc.

I see the £ has reached parity with the Euro, so not as good an offer as first suggested then and certainly not the lowest price ever ;D

Avast Pro price in your post on the first page of this thread of 9.99 pounds converts to $16.41

You can now purchase three years of AIS for one computer for $13.33 a year.

http://www.avast.com/internet-security