Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 93161 times)

Jack 1000

Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »
I have gotten the special offer twice so far.  It comes a few minutes after my afternoon definitions update.

I have no problem with it as long as it stays extremely minimal.  It simply is a news item feature telling you about Avast services and deals.  Push it through maybe two times out of a year, that's fine.

Remember Avast 4.8, would rarely show news or special offers.  I don't think I have ever seen it in 5.0.

I don't think we need to worry about Avast becoming Avira with it's nagging "You can buy the free version" after each update.  Now that is a PITA.

But to keep everyone at Avast happy, maybe a future Avast update will allow an option to be unchecked that says, "Notify me of Avast Promotions and Special Offers."  That makes it there if you want it, with an opt out option if you don't.  Turned on by default to satisfy marketing trends.  But the pop-up should have the check box opt-out there as a part of it as well. Or something that says, "You can turn off the ad pop ups in Avast Maintenance Settings."

Jack
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:38:44 PM by Jack 1000 »

Dch48

« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
@elzar
If you had read this thread, you would have realized that emailing 150 000 000 emails is considered SPAM.
An occasional notice making you aware of a bargain isn't a big deal even if some people consider this
a major problem.
Time for a reality check.  :o

Unexpected popups interrupting what I'm doing on the PC is far more intrusive than me getting an advertising email.

I'll repeat what I already said:

"I feel that email notification of product sales is more acceptable than these popups and hope Avast will discontinue this type of popup spam approach."

I'd rather get spam in email than spam on my desktop.

Time for a reality check yourself.  :P

How does it interrupt anything you're doing? You can easily make it go away or it will disappear on it's own in a few seconds. I still have only seen the first orange one though.
Emailing it would make no sense from a business perspective since it would probably be classed as Spam mail, filtered out, or even deleted, and very few people would ever see it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:58:45 PM by Dch48 »

Offline rob24

« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2011, 12:39:05 AM »
I also noticed this just moment ago.

See screenshot.
I just got the same popup about 20 mins ago.
Someone might have already said so, but the popup said that it said 'Buy avast! Pro Antivirus for the lowest price ever at £9.99'. Click the popup and it is £29.99. Eh. Not the great bargain after all. I might have been tempted to go for Pro at £9.99 in fact I would have. Oh well.
I know this thread is about unwanted advertising popups in the Free version, but personally I get then so rarely they are not an issue, but I'd have referred a less momentary panic inducing colour! I've not had a repeat of the £9.99 (or any other price) since above.

But what I wanted to ask, and maybe it ought to be a new thread, is if I were to take up this offer for a year, at the end of the year to renew will be a lot more (presumably). Also does the paid for version revert automatically (or maybe on prompt) to the free version at the year end?
TBH I'm happy with the Free, but if there is real advantage to be had with Pro, if only for a year, then £9.99 seems good. What extra protection is there in real terms?

Thanks.

Rob
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Gargamel360

« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2011, 12:44:22 AM »
but I'd have referred a less momentary panic inducing colour!
People got a blue window the second time it was sent out,  so that part was acknowledged quickly
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=82026.msg672019#msg672019

CharmCityCrab

« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2011, 04:17:31 AM »
Maybe someone from AVAST could let us know what we can expect going forward in terms of pop-ups advertisements.  We had none and them all of the sudden two within a very short time of each other.  Are we going to be getting one every week now?  A couple times a year?  What's the deal?

While the ads annoy me, I actually like the pop-ups letting us know when the definitions have been updated, and I thought the popups a while back linking to their blog and pictures of their new office were kind of cool.  I don't mind those little corner pop-ups in general.  It's just the advertisements that kind of get on my nerves.  If they're informative (i.e. your definitions have been updated) or fun (i.e. here are some pics of the office party), that's cool, but the reason I picked a free antivirus is because I really don't have much money, and things like ads that remind me of that kind of stress me out.  I like to go on the computer for a break from being told about things I can't afford. ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »
Maybe someone from AVAST could let us know what we can expect going forward in terms of pop-ups advertisements.  We had none and them all of the sudden two within a very short time of each other.  Are we going to be getting one every week now?  A couple times a year?  What's the deal?

While the ads annoy me, I actually like the pop-ups letting us know when the definitions have been updated, and I thought the popups a while back linking to their blog and pictures of their new office were kind of cool.  I don't mind those little corner pop-ups in general.  It's just the advertisements that kind of get on my nerves.  If they're informative (i.e. your definitions have been updated) or fun (i.e. here are some pics of the office party), that's cool, but the reason I picked a free antivirus is because I really don't have much money, and things like ads that remind me of that kind of stress me out.  I like to go on the computer for a break from being told about things I can't afford. ;)
If you go back and read the thread you will have your answer  ::)

Offline rob24

« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »

Ah good thanks
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »
Got the ad today.. I can get AIS for less than $10 even during normal days. So no summer savings for me ;)

Dch48

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »
Where's my blue one? I still haven't seen it.

Gargamel360

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »
Jealous? ;D

I have not had "the pleasure" yet either, unless I missed it when I was AFK.

Dch48

« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
 ;D I've even gone as far as choosing to see the last popup from the tray icon. I've never gotten it.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »
;D I've even gone as far as choosing to see the last popup from the tray icon. I've never gotten it.
Guess they made sure you had nothing to complain about.  ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

splodger

« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:10 AM »
OK, I've bothered to register just to make a comment...

I've now had this summer savings pop up for at least the third time in the last week or so.

In spite of the fact Avast is free, so is the MS equivalent, and if there is one thing I HATE, it's being nagged.

The annual registration thing, and the ads on the UI are fair enough, but these are getting on my nerves.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but in all honesty, I'll go over to MSE if this carries on.

Sorry.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
..., but in all honesty, I'll go over to MSE if this carries on.
Sorry splodger, but I think, this is not really a reason to go over MSE.
Just my opinion... :-X
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
Unless you reinstalled avast! (or possibly restored the factory settings), you couldn't have got three popups.