Author Topic: Problem with updating avast  (Read 5514 times)

theSpid3r

Problem with updating avast
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:00:05 PM »
Hello.
I'm using Avast v 6.0.1203 and i have some problems with update since 22.07.2011
Avast can't update. It doesn't matter if it's automaticly or manually.
Here are some screens:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/609/10126930.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1075/50422385.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/12/77809857.jpg
Can anyone help me?
Windows XP SP3

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem with updating avast
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\Setup.log
or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

theSpid3r

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
Here you are
Its more than 500 lines but i want to send some logs from today and yesterday

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
19:17:31 min/pkg  ERROR DownloadPackages: Not enough space (81920 < 0)
12:00:46 min/gen  Return code: 0x2000000B [Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate.]

Do you have enough free space in the disk?
Any other program that could be monitoring/changing the http traffic and corrupting the download?

theSpid3r

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
Yeah i saw that i had no free space but now i have 500+ mb and still the same thing. I have also Sunbelt Firewall but I never have problems with updating

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
Yeah i saw that i had no free space but now i have 500+ mb and still the same thing.

If Tech's suggestions are not enough to solve the update problem...

I have no way to know if indeed your free space is the main problem, but 500MB is not *that* much. You may want to clean your system from old temp files, old restore points or equivalent (which already reserves several percentages of your total space of your system partition), uninstall unused programs, delete old files from the Recycle Bin, backup documents and delete them...

OTOH, your Internet connection might have some (nonpermanent) problems, making the updates downloads fail (less probable, but it is still a possibility).

You might want to run a scandisk / chkdsk (not for surface, but for file's integrity). Having so little free space might have lead to file's integrity problems, which might include Avast's database.

Finally, you might want to change your settings to Avast GUI -> Settings -> Updates -> Proxy Settings -> "Direct connection (no proxy)".

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
I had a problem about the same time.  AvastUI showed a VPS update, but would not update even though it went thru the download process.  I logged into an Admin account and did a repair via Add/Remove Programs, and restarted WinXP.  That fixed the problem.  This may help the OP.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

theSpid3r

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
Problem solved for now.
Avast unistalled in safe mode, all files deleted, then installed and it works for now. Just updated dabatases.

500mb isn't so much but with 9000 mb c partition it should be enoough (onoly for now).

chdsk/defragmentation is is done regularly

Thanks Tech, ady4um, Gopher John

If something goes wrong again i will refresh this topic.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
Problem solved for now. Avast unistalled in safe mode, all files deleted, then installed and it works for now. Just updated dabatases.
Good.
500mb isn't so much but with 9000 mb c partition it should be enoough (onoly for now).
chdsk/defragmentation is is done regularly
This is OT, since you already solved your problem in Avast update, but anyway...
Your free space is less than 6% of your partition. In theory, you have free space to work. In practice, using Windows, having less than 30% of free space in the system (Windows) partition is usually the first sign of coming problems.

This 30% is not a scientific data/number, but just based on experience. You may be fine with less too, but 6% of free space is probably not enough for comfortable, stable and trustworthy normal use under Windows.

Scandisk/chkdsk may be of "some" (late) use. Defragging in your current situation will only be useful (read as "will have a real impact") in a "recovery" situation (much too late). This is specially valid for only 6% of free space in a system partition.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
Same OT area but important for overall system usage:
The windows defrag will usually baulk if you have less than 15% free space to enable it to move data around to achieve the defrag.

If you only have one hard disk you should consider adding a second.

If you only have one hard disk but more than one partition on the disk, you should consider resizing the partitions as your current situation isn't ideal and is likely to impact on performance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security