Author Topic: Help with ridding computer of malware  (Read 1988 times)

Amy17

Help with ridding computer of malware
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »
Hi, avast!forum. I'm crossing my fingers that 1) I posted this correctly, and 2) someone can help me out.

A while ago I was attacked by some kind of virus/malware. It removed my Avast! and replaced it with a completely fake "Enhanced Protection" thing. I looked around on here & followed the suggestions to download MBAM. Did a quick scan, quarantined everything, uninstalled Avast!  completely using an uninstaller (after it failed to reinstall once) and managed to get it running successfully (I use the Free version, btw). I just finished a full system scan and caught 9 high level threats. Quarantined all save one which absolutely refuses to go. This is what it says:

File name: C:\System32\consrv.dll || Severity: High ||  Status: Threat: Win32:Malware-Gen || Result: Error: The system cannot find the fie specified (2).

I did a quick scan on the C:\System32 and then a general system quick scan using MBAM but everything is coming out all clear. It's not picking up a thing. 

I'm not particularly computer knowledgeable (especially when it comes to [anti]-viruses/malware/spyware and such) so do forgive me for not providing possible essential information. If you require logs, just tell me what you need and I'll post it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Also, and I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm having some weird internet issues. When I click on a link, sometimes the link directs me to a random ad site (I was looking for helpful avast threads).  Most of the time I'd just F5 the page and it will turn into the right one, but... well, it's making me really uneasy. I used the BitDefender Quick Scan three times but it's revealing no infections. I'm at a complete loss.

dw2011

Re: Help with ridding computer of malware
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
Amy,

I am a newbie as well.  This is the staring point that was given to me by the pros on this board...

Follow this guide from our expert malware remover Essexboy
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
(post the logs HERE in the thread you created and not in the guide )

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:49:55 AM by dw2011 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Help with ridding computer of malware
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Monitoring  ;D