Author Topic: Migrate from ADNM 4.8 to Business Console  (Read 5929 times)

gbrown100

Migrate from ADNM 4.8 to Business Console
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
Hi all,

Am a fairly new reseller having just two ADNM deployments under my belt, one with 50 users and one with 60 users. Now the business console is out and I would like to look at moving my customers across to it shortly (subject to a bit of research and testing). I have been told that you cannot "Upgrade" the ADNM and that it must be a fresh install.

What I think would be more helpful is some sort of migration guide running through the process. Right now, without actually just installing the new console over the top I don't know if there will be any conflicts, whether I would need to change any open ports on the clients or server etc etc. A nice upgrade guide with a list of administrative changes and pre-requisites would go down well.

Has anyone gone through this already that can give a few pointers for this? Maybe such a document already exists?

Thanks

Graham

wpn

Re: Migrate from ADNM 4.8 to Business Console
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
the business console is a completely different technique from the ADNM console.
SBC is webbased where ADNM is native client based.

The database setup is different too so its not possible to do an easy migration.

Did you evaluate the SBC product yet?
If not then try it and you will see how easy it is to handle for simple configurations.

I have to migrate ASAP actualy but i will do a fresh install. Was thinking about how to deal with the database, i want to reuse the database instance but not the tables.
So i probably will delete the database (clients will automatically fall back to the internet update servers for their updates). Uninstall ADNM and the install the SBC.

Just keep in mind to fullfil the needs of the client settings in Windows when depoying the new client to the workstations (meaning the LOGON AS SERVICE for the account that you use to install). This account has to have that right else the deployment to the client fails. I used a grouppolicy setting to give the installation account that right for my entire domain, else it will be hell to visit all the computers to manually add that account to logon as service.