Author Topic: Avast(Free) dies during update. Major panic!!!!  (Read 67400 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast(Free) dies during update. Major panic!!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
Indeed we're walking to the end of support...
The market share for Windows 2k is very small nowadays (0,19% http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?spider=1&qprid=10).
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
(Please do NOT rush into the following links yet. Read first the post.)

For those that were asking, there is already a new database as seen at http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history, 110806-0, and the manual VPS "could" be downloaded at http://www.avast.com/download-update as already posted by DavidR before, BUT...

Since no one from Avast Team has yet posted here to say the issue is solved in that new VPS, I can NOT actually recommend downloading the full new database to apply it manually (yet).

It would be expected for someone from Avast Team to announce the solution here when they get to it, so let's wait for it.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
Well, new VPS update does not solve this problem, at least on my VM.
And, you can update VPS from Conrtol-Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! -> Update.

I found some missing functions in aswRep.dll so maybe this is the cause?
Whether w2k support is ended or not, official announcement would be good.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

panterapolnocy

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »
I found some missing functions in aswRep.dll so maybe this is the cause?
Of course they are. I've had the same problem with new TeamSpeak3 client version. The same fix works for Avast 6, which WILL become semi-functional. All you must to do is install wrapper pack for Win2k, which will emulate some functions of Windows XP. Of course this is only a temporary solution (Avast main GUI is started to use 99% CPU 5 seconds after opened, but AV-service is working well) and I'll be very glad, if Avast team will give us normal update, but...

Wrapper pack here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic167843.html
Or on the Sendspace, it's a file from my HDD: http://www.sendspace.com/file/g5inqp (scanned with Avast, of course)

Screenshot - Avast service and GUI running on Win2k and 110806-0:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3235/schowek01py.jpg

Screenshot - which files I've copied from my system (*ORG) and wrapper pack under safe mode to Avast folder:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9660/schowek01f.jpg

Screenshot - EICAR test file ( http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html ), shields are working:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7803/schowek01eb.jpg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:10:44 PM by panterapolnocy »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
The next virus database will fix it.
Sorry for the troubles.

Moriarty

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
Thanks for that, igor! Hope you will post to let us know when it is online, and it's safe for us to update.

Avast has been an excellent program until this problem, and I was getting worried about suggestions Windows 2000 might not be supported, because my next system (nearly finished) is Windows 2000 Pro as well. XP irritates the bejasus out of me, and I don't even want to think about Vista or '7'!

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
The next virus database will fix it.
Sorry for the troubles.
Thanks igor, glad to hear the problem will be fixed. :)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

momaru

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »
@avast! team - Would it be possible to let us have an earlier manual update to download, until the fixed update is release?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:54:29 PM by momaru »

delta925

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I have just spent over 3 hours on this. >:(

I am too still running Windows 2000.

Hence I a few moths ago I locked Avast not to update the program from 5.1.889 but just the definitions which I understood to be still compatible for the foreseeable future.

Late yesterday I got the pop-up box that an Avast file has caused an error and will be shut down by Windows with the result no Avast services were running.

I assumed an issue with my system and that the fix would be to uninstall, clean the registry and reload.

I found what I thought to be the installation package for 5.1.889 but it turned out to be for 6.0.1203.

This installed but with an error about mail scanning.

I then found the 5.1.889 installation package with of course virus definitions dated several moths ago. This installed fine but again the error stopping all Avast services once automatic updates stated.

Hence I downloaded the manual definition update file, stripped the installation, rebooted and reloaded 5.1.889 again followed by the update file. This reported to have installed but the main screen showed the old virus definition date. Hence I rebooted.

Again Avast was not running and clicking either Fix or Start services on the main screen did nothing.

Temporarily I am back to 6.0.1203 so definition file only about a month out of date and I have locked this not to update anything.

In between this of course I scanned my PC to check I had not acquired a gremlin causing the problem but the scans found nothing.

Once the next bug free definition file is posted I assume I can go back to 5.1.889 but should I let it update the definitions automatically or download the update file to update manually?

Also I have told a friend also running Windows 2000 not to turn on his PC as if Avast locks up I will have to sort him out too as he is not very computer literate.

Once the next definitions are released can he just allow them to run without problem or will I have to run the manual file so the file with this bug in it is skipped?

newus

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Indeed we're walking to the end of support...
The market share for Windows 2k is very small nowadays (0,19% http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?spider=1&qprid=10).

End of life Smendovlife
Win2k will never die! Nevah! Nevaaaairrrr

Seriously Win2k/XP share much of the same code base and I feel MS dropping win2k support was mostly a tactic got get people to upgrade.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
@avast! team - Would it be possible to let us have an earlier manual update to download, until the fixed update is release?

First the VPS update would have to be tested to ensure it resolves the win2k problem. Then all updates would have to be tested in the normal way (to reduce the possibility of any false positives, etc.) before being released, so there would be little point in holding this back or having an early (untested) manual download/update.

For users with auto updates enabled (default setting) this should be picked up soon after release.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »
Also I have told a friend also running Windows 2000 not to turn on his PC as if Avast locks up I will have to sort him out too as he is not very computer literate.

Once the next definitions are released can he just allow them to run without problem or will I have to run the manual file so the file with this bug in it is skipped?

Your friend can start the system with the cable (for Internet) disconnected. The update will fail, leaving the old VPS. Then set Avast not to update and reboot, this time with Internet connection. OR, simply wait some hours until the next VPS update, is that is possible for your friend.

I guess using older VPS, Avast will still work, so the normal update to the "working" new VPS (when available) should work.

If Avast is not working, you may download the VPS using the link from previous posts. This is, in any case, the safest method, since it replaces the full database with new files, instead of a partial download. And remember to reset the database updates to "automatic" again after the new VPS is installed (and *probably* after a reboot too).

Of course, once again, this is valid only after the new working VPS would be available.

Habhome

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »
I have the same problem.

Using Win2000 and Avast Free edition and today all avast engines was stopped.

Repair did not fix it.

Uninstall and reinstall: it worked until the definitions were updated then all engines stopped again...

Habhome

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
I have the same problem, Win2K and latest avast (have even tried reinstall) but it seems to be the definition files...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
...it seems to be the definition files...

It is and it already has been confirmed. ;)
See Reply #49...!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0