Author Topic: Vista 32 laptop BSOD Avast related  (Read 5732 times)

dford3772

Vista 32 laptop BSOD Avast related
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »
I'm running Avast 6.0.1203 and my laptop recovered from BSOD.

I ran Who Crashed software and got a conclusion that I wanted to copy in here but don't know how to do that.  I saved it with Fast Stone Capture but don't know how to insert the text.

Analysis is Avast Virtualization Driver is at fault.  aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
I'm over my head here but I did run a malware scan and machine is clean.
What do I need to do?
Donna in AR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Vista 32 laptop BSOD Avast related
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
~~~~
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:18 PM »
got the mini dump file compressed.  When I go to the ftp link I get only a heading screen with
Name Size and Last Modified.  I don't know how to get any farther or find the screen you show above to drag and drop the file.  At first I dragged it to the right side of the heading screen
but now I know that wasn't right. The compressed file is now located directly under the original
file and I renamed it as dford3772mini 081211-01 dmp.

Help me get it to the ftp page please; this is pretty complicated stuff you know. LOL
Donna

dford3772

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
This info from Who Crashed:

On Fri 8/12/2011 5:00:59 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini081211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x13154)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFD8A5B8DC, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF82C3AAB4, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:24 PM »
@dford3772,

Please read again the instructions DavidR posted. His post explains how to upload your zip file.

It is very similar to a simple "drag&drop" using Windows Explorer. The only difference is that you only have "write-only" access, so once you "drop" your file in the ftp site, you won't see anything in there (you don't have "read" permissions).

So, as said, please read carefully the instructions from DavidR. He also gave more than one alternative to get the upload done.

If you still have doubts, please don't hesitate to ask again.

dford3772

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:47:13 PM »
I have been reading about minidumps and the file I have is only 26KB.  I found nothing about a
full kernel dump but I understand that a 32 bit machine cannot handle it.

David's directions are clear but I simply don't have the experience to fully interpret them.

dford3772

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »
The actual dump file is 136 KB and my compressed one is 21KB.

If this is a corrupt Avast driver why wouldn't a simple clean up and uninstall/reinstall of
Avast work?

I've seen a fairly large number of users with this problem.  I will say that over the years I have used Avast this is the first BSOD I've had; I want to get back to that clean state again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:17:18 AM »
1. Which part don't you have the experience to implement ?

2. BSODs generally don't occur because they are corrupt, but because they come into conflict with another driver. In fact if they were corrupt they wouldn't run at all and you would no doubt get avast errors, plus it it weren't running there is little chance of conflict with another driver.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
I have been reading about minidumps and the file I have is only 26KB.  I found nothing about a
full kernel dump but I understand that a 32 bit machine cannot handle it.

David's directions are clear but I simply don't have the experience to fully interpret them.

Let's try this:

1_ Right-click at ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and select to open the link on a separate new window.
2_ Using Windows Explorer, get to the folder where you have your zip you need/want to upload.
3_ Click (and maintained pressed) over you zip file.
4_ Drag your zip/mouse over the new window where you have open the ftp location.
5_ With the mouse over that FTP location, release the mouse (drop the file), just the same as if you were copying a file from one folder to another.

Now the file should be in the process of uploading. You won't see any new file in the FTP location/folder, simply because you don't have "read" permissions. You can only "write" (upload) a file to that FTP location.

Report if that seems to work or if you find any problems.

Hopefully, the zip file will be uploaded and someone from Avast Team will come here to this topic to report about it (and eventually give you more instructions).

dford3772

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:47:35 AM »

I right clicked on the link and opened it in a new tab (I'm in FF).  I get only the header page
of Name Size and Last Modified while title is Index of FTP.  Nothing opens that even resembles
the sample page that David sent.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »
I right clicked on the link and opened it in a new tab (I'm in FF).  I get only the header page
of Name Size and Last Modified while title is Index of FTP.  Nothing opens that even resembles
the sample page that David sent.

Open "Computer" or any other Windows Explorer folder. In the address bar, where it says "Computer", type or copy the ftp address starting and including the "ftp://..." part. Press <enter> and it should give you something very similar to that screen DavidR presented.

dford3772

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 12:55:30 AM »
In desperation I went to IE9 and the directions worked.  I got the page and dropped the minidump file on it and it went through the motions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:56:16 AM »
The sample image page is windows explorer.

I never found this worked with firefox unless you use something like the FireFTP add-on in which case you need some experience of using an FTP program.

That is why we are trying to keep it simple by just using two separate windows explorer windows. The first one that you copy and paste the ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming URL into the address window.

In the second explorer window you navigate to the folder that your zip file is located, now drag the zip file from that explorer window and drop it into the first one.

Edit: I see now you have it done in IE9.

dford3772

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
So far no response from Avast on the dump file that I uploaded.  How long am I likely to wait?
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
No one her can answer that, remember that you uploaded during a weekend, so that may have an impact also.