Author Topic: Upgrade from Pro to Business protection  (Read 4985 times)

DanOlson

Upgrade from Pro to Business protection
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
I installed a trial of the stand alone Pro version and then I installed and setup a business console. I inserted the license file for my business console in my trial and it upgraded me to the business protection (I expected this) but the console is still not seeing me as a managed client still. I have tried to rediscover the system and it is still not working.

If inserting the license file for the managed client puts a managed version of the software on my system why can I not manage the software from the server for my workstation?

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Upgrade from Pro to Business protection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »
The upgrade by license doesn't add the most necessary component - the service communicating with the central management. The easist way for you wil be run the "avast_managed.exe" that will install the service and setup it to the right SBC server.
Go to Admin >Setup and find the download link...
Quality is also a feature.

DanOlson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
I tried this option the problem is that the script shield Blocks one of my applications that I use for business purposes. I installed the Trial and did a custom install and ran without the script shield and everything would work without a problem. When I downloaded the link and installed the managed version directly on my PC I do not get an option for a custom install.

Thanks for any help that you can provide

wpn

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »
the managed client is as the name states...  managed...

the shields can be controlled via the console create a group there where you tweak the shield to meet your requirements for getting the site to work and place that specific computer in it
either in the direct GUI or in the advanced settings you can find shield config

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
I tried this option the problem is that the script shield Blocks one of my applications that I use for business purposes. I installed the Trial and did a custom install and ran without the script shield and everything would work without a problem. When I downloaded the link and installed the managed version directly on my PC I do not get an option for a custom install.

Managed client gets its settings from the group it belongs to at the "console". You'll have to create a new group at SBC console, disable Behavioral shield in settings of the group and move the computer to this group (you can disable BS in Default group too, of course.

Or if you really want to uninstall the BS then you'll have to run "Change" option directly on the computer with the client. And disable the BS component manually.

hth

DanOlson

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
I have run the workstation in a group all by it's self with the Shields all disabled and the Custom App still hangs. I was curious so I uninstalled Avast and ran without any protection and the App did not have the issue. I was checking the system for specs and it is a XP SP3 system with 2 Gb of Ram and a Core 2 Duo. It is not running out of resources. I am not sure what is going on.

Because the Program Hangs with Avast installed and Doesn't with Avast uninstalled I am looking at Avast causing this problem.

Thanks
Dan

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
If you want to find out what's the problem you can try to uninstall the shields one by one from "Control Panel > Change / Repair" on avast!
In most of the cases problems as you've reported are caused by Behavior Shield...

DanOlson

[Solved] Upgrade from Pro to Business protection
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
If you want to find out what's the problem you can try to uninstall the shields one by one from "Control Panel > Change / Repair" on avast!
In most of the cases problems as you've reported are caused by Behavior Shield...

This is what I needed. I have successfully tested in my test network. I am going to deploy to a working network next week some time. I will let you know what comes about.

Thanks for all the help!