Author Topic: Vista 32 laptop BSOD Avast related  (Read 5726 times)

ady4um

Re: Vista 32 laptop BSOD Avast related
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »
Since part of the posts here are about how to upload, please repeat here the exact and complete name of the file you uploaded, so it would be easier for Avast Team to read here about it and give instructions.

Alternatively, upload a new zip including the memory dump AND with a text file with the link to this topic and any relevant information.

After uploading, please report here the unique name you used for the zip file.

dford3772

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
I named the compressed file I created in Windows Explorer [dford3772 mini 081211-01 dmp].  I can reload it with a better name but I do not know how to do a read only text file of it.  Once I
find out how, is that done from the original or the compressed file?
Sorry to be so much trouble but this is pretty complicated stuff for a mind as old as mine. LOL
Donna

ady4um

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
I named the compressed file I created in Windows Explorer [dford3772 mini 081211-01 dmp].  I can reload it with a better name but I do not know how to do a read only text file of it.  Once I
find out how, is that done from the original or the compressed file?
Sorry to be so much trouble but this is pretty complicated stuff for a mind as old as mine. LOL
Donna

Well, first, I think that the file name should be a simple thing. Generally speaking, any "unique" name should work, like "dford3772-2011AUG08DMP.ZIP". Avoiding blank spaces in the name is a good idea (it makes it more clear when referring to it), but it should be fine either way.

What I didn't see was the extension (or the type) of your file. Is it ".dmp" or have you zipped it (".zip")? It is possible that your Windows Explorer is not showing the "known" extensions (".zip" in this case), so the "type" of file in Windows Explorer should indicate this info.

I'm sorry but I didn't understand your question about "how to do a read only text file of it".

If you meant that you want to add a text file with more info (like the link to this same topic http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83061.0), then just open "Notepad", write the info you want, save it, and make a zip archive containing both the text file and the memory dump file. Then upload it and report here the complete file name.

If you still have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Let's hope someone from Avast Team can check your uploaded file and give instructions if necessary.

dford3772

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »
I just sent this [dford3772-2011AUG12dmp.zip}.If this doesn't work let's just give up on this
crash and wait for the next or maybe there won't be one. I've fooled with this far longer than I wanted to and I know that is true for you too.

It is interesting to me to note that the day of this crash I had trouble with all 3 of my PCs
crashing AFTER or during a download of the recent sunami of Windows updates.  Perhaps this one
was a glitch too because the others have Avast and they are running after recovery.
Thanks for trying,
Donna 

dford3772

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »
After both Opera and Safari crashed on Win7 I've done lots of reading and it seems the latest
update of Adobe 10 flash player is creating havoc.  From what I've read it can interact with
antivirus also but no one seems to really know what to do to fix the crashes. 

I have that new update so that might be the root of some of the problems I've been having
with all my PCs.

Just Google the problem but even Firefox has shown problems as well. Just hope this info
can help others know what is wrong. To fix?????????
Donna