Author Topic: Avast! icons in system tray  (Read 5561 times)

wdc202

Avast! icons in system tray
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:14:28 PM »
I use the Home version of Avast! Two questions about the icons (a blue circle with the letter “a” and a blue circle with the letter “i”) that appear in my system tray, near the time.

 When I click the “a” icon I get a menu in which I can choose Instant Messenger, Internet Mail, P2P Shield, or Standard Shield. I have been choosing Standard Shield. Am I correct that that option covers all the files on my C:\drive, including the messages in my Outlook Express? What does the Internet Mail option do?

&#61623; When I click the “b” icon, <nothing> happens. What should happen? And how do I fix it so it does?

Thanks.   …. wdc

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast! icons in system tray
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 11:18:07 PM »
Internet Mail provider is used to protect the e-mail processed by other mail clients than MS Outlook or MS Exchange. You need that one for OE

wdc202

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 11:28:31 PM »
Eddy: Thanks. Just to be sure I understand you: You are saying that I <should> run Internet Mail, right?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 11:33:31 PM »
Yes. Even better is upgrading to Avast 4.5 beta. That version handles the mail in a different way and will automaticly check the mail in OE.

Upgrade Instructions

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 11:50:07 AM »
Without Internet Mail provider you won't have Outlook Express protected. You can, if you want, disable the other providers that you do not use. You can even uninstall them (Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast antivirus > Change/Remove and choose 'Change' option).

About the second icon, it's the VRDB icon. More information in FAQ on my signature. You can 'merge' the two icons into just one and 'save' space on your system tray.
The best things in life are free.

wdc202

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 12:45:52 PM »
Hello Technical: Please excuse me for not thanking you earlier for your response (on Nov4) to my post on Avast! icons in system tray. In the heat of major Adware problems (that I am still wrestling with) I must have missed the notice of your response.

I only just came across it today, when I ran into similar problems. After several major adware and spyware cleanups and some rearrangements of my Desktop and status bars I now find that I do NOT still have the Avast! icons in my startup box (the one next to the clock). I assume that, for the moment at least, I do not have virus protection. Can you please tell me again:

1. Where (and under what name) will I find Avast! in my Windows Explorer?

2. Icons for which of the Avast! programs should I place in the startup tray, so that Avast! is automatically loaded when I boot?

3. I have the free Home edition of Avast!. Would you please confirm, once again, that this provides virus protection for my entire PC setup, including email?

…wdc

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 12:48:52 AM »
Hello Technical: Please excuse me for not thanking you earlier for your response (on Nov4) to my post on Avast! icons in system tray. In the heat of major Adware problems (that I am still wrestling with) I must have missed the notice of your response.

I always good when an 'old' user comes back.

1. Where (and under what name) will I find Avast! in my Windows Explorer?

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\

2. Icons for which of the Avast! programs should I place in the startup tray, so that Avast! is automatically loaded when I boot?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

3. I have the free Home edition of Avast!. Would you please confirm, once again, that this provides virus protection for my entire PC setup, including email?

Yes, you have full protection but you must configure avast for your needs.
The best things in life are free.