Author Topic: Avast Pro version 4 & workgoupr mail  (Read 3090 times)

doft

Avast Pro version 4 & workgoupr mail
« on: November 05, 2004, 04:42:49 PM »
Hey Everyone.
   I just purchased Avast Pro (version 4) and installed it onto a computer with an email program called WorkgroupMail (a mail server).  I was wondering if there is any way to use Avast to scan the incoming emails, outside of the WorkgroupMail program.  WorkgroupMail says that I have to purchase a plugin for that to work.  Just wondering if there was anyway around that.  
   By the way - Avast is great!  Works well and finds viruses that others don't.  Thanks.

D.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast Pro version 4 & workgoupr mail
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 07:23:39 PM »
WorkgroupMail says that I have to purchase a plugin for that to work.

I think the only available plugins are for MS Outlook / Exchange and for The Bat.
Can't you configure it with Internet Mail provider?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 07:39:06 PM »
I was wondering if there is any way to use Avast to scan the incoming emails, outside of the WorkgroupMail program.
Shouldn't it work if he picks up the mail with OE or Outlook from that server and set Avast to protect OE or Outlook?

Or could the 127.0.0.1 trick be of use here with different ports? What do you think Technical...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 07:41:38 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 09:24:07 PM »
I was wondering if there is any way to use Avast to scan the incoming emails, outside of the WorkgroupMail program.
Shouldn't it work if he picks up the mail with OE or Outlook from that server and set Avast to protect OE or Outlook?

It should work if WorkGroupMail allows smtp/pop3 servers...

Or could the 127.0.0.1 trick be of use here with different ports? What do you think Technical...

I think not. Ports are now managed by avast4.ini file:
PopRedirectPort=110
avast! bound to the specific(s) port(s) listed here to scan Inbound messages. It does not hook on every connection and heuristic detects if this is a POP3 communication or not. For any change to become effective, restart the Internet Mail provider. Although, it supports multiple ports separated by commas and without blank spaces, for instance: PopRedirectPort=110,120

But, somewhere, I read, probably from Igor or Lucas that the 127.0.0.1 could work yet  ::)
The best things in life are free.