Author Topic: Firewalls  (Read 8590 times)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Firewalls
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
I'm not very happy with Outpost Firewall... It does slowing down my computer, sometimes it totally freeze and stuck. I had Comodo Firewall which was perfect but it had conflicts with avast! So do I really need any firewall in home network? I think that It just slowing down computer, annoys with popups and making problems (slowdown internet browsing, slowdown computer, crashing computer, stuck itself, sometimes blocking some programs or games).
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Firewalls
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:44:31 PM »
I had Comodo Firewall which was perfect but it had conflicts with avast!

If you just use the firewall part, there should be no problem.
Anyway, the W7 FW is quite good, so you can also use just this.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Here are some links for some other firewalls. I use Online Armor Free without any issues. If that helps. If you decide to use Comodo do "not" install the anti-virus. Also ZoneAlarm has been known to create conflicts with avast.  :)

http://download.cnet.com/Online-Armor-Free/3000-10435_4-10426782.html?tag=mncol;1
http://download.cnet.com/Privatefirewall/3000-10435_4-10371057.html
http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Firewall/3000-10435_4-75181464.html?tag=rb_content;contentMain
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:47:55 PM »
I'm not very happy with Outpost Firewall... It does slowing down my computer, sometimes it totally freeze and stuck. I had Comodo Firewall which was perfect but it had conflicts with avast! So do I really need any firewall in home network? I think that It just slowing down computer, annoys with popups and making problems (slowdown internet browsing, slowdown computer, crashing computer, stuck itself, sometimes blocking some programs or games).

Well this really begs the question on the modules you have installed and the settings that you have ?

I see ZERO slowing on either of my computers, the one in my signature and my win7 netbook.

The major difference is you are also using the Outpost Security Suite and I'm using the Outpost Firewall Pro and a custom install with no anti-spyware or web control modules, both of which will use system resources and may even cause compatibility issues.

After when you install Outpost, it detects avast! and seeks confirmation you have it installed so it runs in compatibility mode, disabling the anti-spyware and web control modules (Outpost Firewall Pro). But I prefer a custom install and not installing these modules.

So I feel your problems may well be down to your Installation, which I feel needs to be a Custom one and ensure that essentially you only install the Firewall components. The pop-ups depend entirely on what setting you choose (and that isn't mentioned). You can also put it into learning mode for the first 7 days so it gets used to what you have installed and how you use the computer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »

I never had conflicts with Comodo Firewall. You may want to disable Comodo Sandbox. But then, you must ensure that you only install Comodo Firewall.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »

I never had conflicts with Comodo Firewall. You may want to disable Comodo Sandbox. But then, you must ensure that you only install Comodo Firewall.
The last time I installed comodo I got BSOD on startup and I needed to go safemode and uninstall comodo.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

Well this really begs the question on the modules you have installed and the settings that you have ?

I see ZERO slowing on either of my computers, the one in my signature and my win7 netbook.

The major difference is you are also using the Outpost Security Suite and I'm using the Outpost Firewall Pro and a custom install with no anti-spyware or web control modules, both of which will use system resources and may even cause compatibility issues.

After when you install Outpost, it detects avast! and seeks confirmation you have it installed so it runs in compatibility mode, disabling the anti-spyware and web control modules (Outpost Firewall Pro). But I prefer a custom install and not installing these modules.

So I feel your problems may well be down to your Installation, which I feel needs to be a Custom one and ensure that essentially you only install the Firewall components. The pop-ups depend entirely on what setting you choose (and that isn't mentioned). You can also put it into learning mode for the first 7 days so it gets used to what you have installed and how you use the computer.

Was that normal that Outpost was using about 20 to 80 mb of my memory? When It found something that wanted to write something in registry it got stuck and said that Outpost firewall stopped working and was terminated (did once per day).
I already uninstalled Outpost firewall and my computer and internet is running much much much faster now. Now having 2% of memory usage (with outpost about 15%-30%)

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
I had Comodo Firewall which was perfect but it had conflicts with avast!

If you just use the firewall part, there should be no problem.
Anyway, the W7 FW is quite good, so you can also use just this.
danny96's signature is quite down level as avast! is now testing a new beta version:
NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1279 **
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83583.0  

Windows 7 firewall with Windows 7 Firewall Control works great:
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
As I said, with the lack of information given I can't say what is normal for your system and the outpost modules you had installed and settings that you used.

op_mon.exe (outpost monitor) on this system is currently using 20MB and in the bigger scheme of things 20MB is small bear compared to many other applications, firefox 391MB, MBAM 89MB, thunderbird 119MB, Mailwasher Pro 75MB, Explorer 42MB.  This is Task Manager, VM Size.

Am I concerned about any of this NO, I have 2GB of RAM (probably less than you), memory is there to be used, but the major thing is that I don't see any slowdown on my system or internet connections, see image of a speedtest.net check done today.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »
Here are some links for some other firewalls. I use Online Armor Free without any issues. If that helps. If you decide to use Comodo do "not" install the anti-virus. Also ZoneAlarm has been known to create conflicts with avast.  :)

http://download.cnet.com/Online-Armor-Free/3000-10435_4-10426782.html?tag=mncol;1
http://download.cnet.com/Privatefirewall/3000-10435_4-10371057.html
http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Firewall/3000-10435_4-75181464.html?tag=rb_content;contentMain

ZoneAlarm has been known to create conflicts with avast.

That's baloney!  If you want to tell fairy tales, please do it somewhere else!

gdiloren

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:54:39 AM »
My Security Centre tells me I have a FW on (PFW), but when I try running my Win 7 64 bits FW only after removing the third party FW, I have to put it on at each start-up. Installation may be corrupted. Can't find a good restore point. That happens when you play with fire. :P
edit: Yes, I played a lot in the Regedit :-[
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:56:21 AM by gdiloren »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
I use Online Armor Free without any issues.

Para-Noid,

OA Free has over 100 bugs and issues!  They have fixed over 100 of them in the beta, they still have a long ways to go before they have a stable version.

Check the support forum for OA.  I recently tried OA and it's beta.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 05:50:40 AM »
My Security Centre tells me I have a FW on (PFW), but when I try running my Win 7 64 bits FW only after removing the third party FW, I have to put it on at each start-up. Installation may be corrupted. Can't find a good restore point. That happens when you play with fire. :P
You need to go into services and turn the windows firewall to automatic, PFW has turned it to manual.

gdiloren

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »
You need to go into services and turn the windows firewall to automatic, PFW has turned it to manual.
I see, thanks, you are reassuring! :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
I see, thanks, you are reassuring! :)
;D ;)