Author Topic: Windows 7 gadget bug remains  (Read 5685 times)

sid1996

Windows 7 gadget bug remains
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:16 AM »
The bug which causes the gadgets in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 to close when manually updating Avast! Professional, remains in version 6.0.1287. In fact, it's actually worse. In the last version of Avast! Professional the gadgets were only closed if there were an update (program or VPS). In version 6.0.1287 they are closed even if there are no new updates.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Windows 7 gadget bug remains
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:53 AM »
No, it's the same. That's because there IS a new update, 6.0.1289.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sid1996

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
I tested this before the release of 6.0.1289. The same bug (as in 6.0.1287, whereas the gadgets are always closed) also exist in version 6.0.1289.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »
@sid1996,

Yes, what Vlk was saying is that it is not "worse", as you said in your OP, but "the same".

TheAnima

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
I'm reporting this bug also. Apparently something in Avast's program update call function causes sidebar.exe to shut down. It can be recalled by right-clicking the desktop and selecting "Gadgets". It happened to me twice today since updating, first to 6.0.1287 and then 6.0.1289.

Until this glitch is fixed, I've set my program updates to Manual. As someone who prefers to let my computer handle updating things on its own, I find it highly inconvenient. I'm hoping someone fixes it soon.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
I'm reporting this bug also. Apparently something in Avast's program update call function causes sidebar.exe to shut down. It can be recalled by right-clicking the desktop and selecting "Gadgets". It happened to me twice today since updating, first to 6.0.1287 and then 6.0.1289.

Until this glitch is fixed, I've set my program updates to Manual. As someone who prefers to let my computer handle updating things on its own, I find it highly inconvenient. I'm hoping someone fixes it soon.

I still don't quite understand... The problem happens only if the update is actually happening, doesn't it? I.e. it's not happening during a check for update, just if the update is really available and taking place... and in that case, a reboot is required anyway.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
Or am I missing something?

Yes, you are :). According to the reports in this topic, the problem happens also when updating the database, and also when just checking (even if an update is not yet available).

...if there were an update (program or VPS). In version 6.0.1287 they are closed even if there are no new updates.

sid1996

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
To clarify.

I think the problem arose in version 6.0.1203, but I'm not certain - it could have been earlier, and what happend was that when updating manually (from Avast! GUI) the Windows 7 gadgets where closed. They were only closed if there was an update (program or VPS), otherwise they would be fine.

In version 6.0.1287 and 6.0.1289 they are also closed when there are no updates, i e they are closed every time you click Update Program in the Avast! GUI.

I'm using Avast! Professional (English) on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit (English).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
Yes iv reported this before, the side bar will totally close if you run a manual check for program updates and will come back when you open gadgets, definition updates dont affect it.

sid1996

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
Before version 6.0.1287 the problem also occured by definition updates, if they were triggered manually (Update Program in Avast! GUI). At least that was what happened in my environment. From version 6.0.1287 the problem always occur when clicking Update Program in Avast! GUI, regardless of whether it's a program update, a definition update or no updates at all.

If I were to speculate, I would guess that the problem only occurs if you don't use the Avast! Gadget. I have uninstalled the Avast! gadget, but I presume that the update routines have a way to reload the Avast! gadget. It seems like that when you don't have the Avast! gadget, only the close part is executed.

Furthermore, when looking at the Update Program progress bar in version 6.0.1287+, it seems like it's doing an extra step compared to the older versions. It seems like the file it always download (which I guess contains information about the latest updates) is handled like an actual download, and therefore trigger the reloading of the gadgets.

But this is just me speculating.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
@sid1996,

You are triggering the problem by manually *checking* PROGRAM updates.

Checking availability is not the same as *applying* them.

Program updates (whether applying them or just checking) is not the same as manually checking for *database* updates.

Checking for program updates also acts on database updates.

So, there are 4 different steps. It would be better to identify which of the 4 actually triggers the problem, since the frequency of each of the steps is VERY different.

sid1996

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
This is the following steps required for reproducing the problem in version 6.0.1287+.

- Double-click the Avast! tray icon.
- Click Maintenance in the main menu.
- Click Update in the sub menu.
- Click Update Program.

This causes the gadgets to close.

If I click "Update engine and virus definitions" instead of "Update Program", they are not closed. Nor are they closed when definitions are updated automatically.

It only happens when you use the "Update Program" button. But it happens regardless of whether no updates are found, whether a program update is found and applied or if a definition update is found and applied.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit (English)
Avast! Professional (English)(No Avast! gadget)

When looking at the progress bar between "Update engine and virus definitions" and "Update Program" when no updates (of any kind) exists, both download the file prod-ais.vpx. But in the progress bar for "Update Program", there is an extra step that doesn't seem to occur when using "Update engine and virus definitions". It's in Step 3/3 when the progrss bar is about 70% and before it writes "Web Shield". It's at this point the gadgets are closed.

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
Sid1996, thanks for the detail report.

Well, now both craigb and sid1996 are saying the same, and it happens to be the same as Vlk said: the problem with gadgets happens only when checking for available program updates.

Using the default settings (program update -> ask), this problem occurs once in a while, when a new program update is attempted. Since the user is supposed to reboot after the program update is performed and finished, and since the problem doesn't persist after a reboot, the problem occurs only once in a while with no permanent serious consequences.

In addition, Avast main GUI displays the relevant info when a program update is available, even before displaying the program update tray notification. This means that there is no need to keep trying if there is a program update available, except when you already know there is.

Still, I hope Avast Team can find a way to solve this problem.

TheAnima

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:33:48 AM »
This problem never happened for me before 6.0.1287/6.0.1289.

And my condition is as Sid1996 described.