Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe, kinda of a piggy. High Mem Usage at times  (Read 10636 times)

High_Treason

Re: AvastSvc.exe, kinda of a piggy. High Mem Usage at times
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
I remember a time when you could run everything, the OS, Antivirus and the latest games in 64MB of RAM... How things have changed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
What are you actually doing at the time when the RAM is high ?
Is there corresponding high avastSvc.exe activity (avast icon rotating) ?

I would also suggest that you monitor the XP Task Manager, VM Size figure, as one of the avast team has suggested that this is a more accurate figure. Though there are times when that figure is higher, see image1 of mine right now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

luckyvic

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
What are you actually doing at the time when the RAM is high ?
If you look at the 1st and 2nd attachments, really nothing is running. The 3rd attachment is when using IE that it is high, sometimes it stays, goes down a little and/or keeps going up.

Is there corresponding high avastSvc.exe activity (avast icon rotating) ?
No, icon not rotating.

I would also suggest that you monitor the XP Task Manager, VM Size figure, as one of the avast team has suggested that this is a more accurate figure. Though there are times when that figure is higher, see image1 of mine right now.
Right now it is very good, even downloading from Utorrent, recent attachment.

luckyvic

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
Recent attachment

luckyvic

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
VM size

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
If you click on the Image Name, column heading it lists the processes in alphabetic order. This will make your image editing easier, no need to mask out lots of stuff.

So the VM Size is meant to be a more accurate representation of the RAM used, however, RAM is something which I rarely if ever get excited about. Windows manages RAM (and when to release it, etc.) and it is there to be used to improve system performance.

Even if it were 30-60MB, in the greater scheme of things is still small, see image, ordered in highest use first and avastSvc.exe and avastUI are way down the list.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

luckyvic

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
 OK, thanks for the info. I'm not going to fret anymore about this matter. Everything seems to run fine, only a couple times slow loading of webpages and apps.
 Next spring I am getting a new pc/Win7 or 8, IE9 or IE10, blah, blah...... eventually I will I have the "latest" stuff!!  ;D

luckyvic

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
I do still have one concern. After installing the latest version, I can't go into Safe Mode anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
Well avast shouldn't have any impact in your ability to boot into safe mode. How are you trying to enter safe mode and are there any errors, etc. ?

I don't know if you have SAS, but it has a set of repair functions and one of those is restoring/repairing a broken safeboot key, see image.

SUPERantispyware (SAS). On-Demand only in free version.

luckyvic

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »
OK, thanks. I will try that.
Where can I find the previous version of Avast!?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:19 AM »
Why would you want to go back to an old version of avast ?

If to possibly resolve the safe mode issue I rather doubt it would do that.

Previous versions of many programs can be found on http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ on the right hand side you can get the current and previous versions.

luckyvic

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 06:58:03 AM »
Why would you want to go back to an old version of avast ?
I got very frustrated with latest version when I tried the SAS repair, didn't work and then I got stuck in the Safe Mode loop. The Safe Mode 3 options and Start Windows Normally section, I would click on any of the options and it would try to access, restart trying to access Windows and then back to the Safe Mode options section, over and over until I did a hard shutdown. My good friend who is the city IT person came by and used a bootcd, stopped the looping and uninstalled Avast! I reinstalled version 6.0.1203 for now. I'm staying away any new version until I see less complaints and problems from users. Mem Usage is less now, too.If to possibly resolve the safe mode issue I rather doubt it would do that.

Previous versions of many programs can be found on http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ on the right hand side you can get the current and previous versions.
Thank you, that's where I got it from.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
You're welcome.

This is a support forum, so guess what you are going to see here. Those without problems rarely if ever come to a support forum to say they aren't having any problems.

luckyvic

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
Yes, I am guilty of that. I do come here to see what's going, especially if I've directed a friend/family to come here for assistance.