Author Topic: Update Program Notification  (Read 5142 times)

David90

Update Program Notification
« on: November 09, 2004, 01:44:23 AM »
I would like to know the procedure to update the Avast Program.  Not the virus definition files, but the program itself.

My friend and I are both running Avast Home 4.1.418. My friend has a broadband connection and is gettiing the following pop up notification:  "A new version of the program is available, click here to install it".  I do not have a broadband connection and am not getting the same notification.

I checked the download page but when clicking on the download link for Avast 4, the file is only named "setupeng" with no version number so I don't know what the latest available version is.

Do I have to uninstall Avast 4.1.418 to install the new version, or can it be installed over the current program?  Thanks for your help!

conazus

Re:Update Program Notification
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:49:45 AM »
I would like to know the procedure to update the Avast Program.  Not the virus definition files, but the program itself.

My friend and I are both running Avast Home 4.1.418. My friend has a broadband connection and is gettiing the following pop up notification:  "A new version of the program is available, click here to install it".  I do not have a broadband connection and am not getting the same notification.

I checked the download page but when clicking on the download link for Avast 4, the file is only named "setupeng" with no version number so I don't know what the latest available version is.

Do I have to uninstall Avast 4.1.418 to install the new version, or can it be installed over the current program?  Thanks for your help!

This should help you out... read the first message in this thread  :)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8044;start=0

David90

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 02:28:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Connie!  I'm a bit confused as to why the servers.def file needs to be downloaded.

Qutoe from the post you refer to:

How to install the beta, step by step:
1. Download the file http://cat.asw.cz/beta/servers.def and place it to the <avast>\setup folder (overwrite the existing file) -- see comments below on how to download the file.
2. Invoke avast! program update (will require reboot).

If you had not drawn my attention to it, where can the servers.def file be found?  I must admit I did not search the Alwil website, but just posted a question instead.  Are there specific updating instructions on the Alwil Website somewhere?  If all else fails I guess I can just un-install and re-install.  Thanks for your help!

conazus

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 02:32:25 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Connie!  I'm a bit confused as to why the servers.def file needs to be downloaded.

Qutoe from the post you refer to:

How to install the beta, step by step:

1. Download the file http://cat.asw.cz/beta/servers.def and place it to the <avast>\setup folder (overwrite the existing file) -- see comments below on how to download the file.

2. Invoke avast! program update (will require reboot).

David...     follow the above instructions...   if you read further in that message it tells you how to download the file   :)

conazus

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 02:34:55 AM »
David ..  

The servers.def is a text file - so  right click the link and select "Save as"

Copy it into your Avast4/Setup folder  then run Avast Program Update  

David90

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 02:46:51 AM »
Thanks, Connie, download complete!  It's just that I have this thing about wanting to know why something is done.  If my friend were to click on the update notification that pops up when she reboots, would that not update the program, or would you have to overwrite the servers.def file first?  If it won't automatically update the program, then shouldn't there be a warning that you have to download the servers.def file and overwrite before proceeding?  Just have this thing about wanting to know why.  Just sort of confused...Guess I need to study the Alwil site.  All in good time!  Anyway, thanks very much for your help!  

conazus

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 02:52:12 AM »
Thanks, Connie, download complete!  It's just that I have this thing about wanting to know why something is done.  If my friend were to click on the update notification that pops up when she reboots, would that not update the program, or would you have to overwrite the servers.def file first?  If it won't automatically update the program, then shouldn't there be a warning that you have to download the servers.def file and overwrite before proceeding?  Just have this thing about wanting to know why.  Just sort of confused...Guess I need to study the Alwil site.  All in good time!  Anyway, thanks very much for your help!  

David,     no need to explain..    wanting to know why and how things work helps us to learn.   Its definitely how and why Ive learned.  :)

I think the only way for now to update to 4.5 is to download the servers.def file, copy it into the setup folder, and run the program update.      The update notice she is getting at bootup...  Im abit confused I think?   That may only be for program updates for the 4.1 build itself.   I dont think it will update it to 4.5.    

The servers.def in that thread that I pointed you to is for the beta of 4.5.   They will be releasing 4.5 soon.    Until then its how you update 4.1.       Normally the program updates dont work this way.. its much more automatic, and yes just clicking on the update notice would do it then.  

The others will jump in and add to this so be sure to check back in  :)   REad thru the threads...  lots of good info here.. and welcome!  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 02:54:12 AM by connie »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 03:51:13 AM »
David, Saturday 13th of November, you will be able to download and update the official release of avast 4.5. Until there, let the beta version for the ones who have more experience... Can you wait?
The best things in life are free.

conazus

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 04:18:19 AM »
good point Technical  .. its only a few more days

David90

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:38 AM »
OK, now I understand, 4.5 is in Beta!  I thought this was just standard operating procedure!  

About the update window that appears from time to time, usually at boot up on my friends computer: the reason my friend is getting an "update notification" is that in Avast 4 home, on the settings menu, there is an item called "Update".  In the update menu item, there are radio buttons for "Virus Database" and "Program" with "Automatic"" Ask", and "Manual" choices.  Apparently she has the "Ask" button checked.  

The original reason for my question was to find out if she simply clicked on this window when it appears if it would automatically download and install the update, or if Avast 4 home needed  to be un-installed to be upgraded to a newer version.

I was also asking for myself, as I don't have "Ask" checked in the update section of the settings menu, but "Manual" instead, so I'm not getting this update prompt, but also wanted to find out if I needed to uninstall to upgrade.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks  for your patience and help.  I can easily overwrite the file, I just wanted to know if this was SOP for updating the program.  And of course I can wait, no rush at all.  Live and learn.  Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 12:13:09 PM »
About the update window that appears from time to time, usually at boot up on my friends computer: the reason my friend is getting an "update notification" is that in Avast 4 home, on the settings menu, there is an item called "Update".  In the update menu item, there are radio buttons for "Virus Database" and "Program" with "Automatic"" Ask", and "Manual" choices.  Apparently she has the "Ask" button checked.

Most probably. It seems to be a VPS update (virus database) and not all the program.

The original reason for my question was to find out if she simply clicked on this window when it appears if it would automatically download and install the update, or if Avast 4 home needed  to be un-installed to be upgraded to a newer version.

If you set 'Automatic' when you saw the window, avast is already updated!  8)
No, you do not have to uninstall the previous version to install a new one. Just automatic, just incremental and fast  8)

I was also asking for myself, as I don't have "Ask" checked in the update section of the settings menu, but "Manual" instead, so I'm not getting this update prompt, but also wanted to find out if I needed to uninstall to upgrade.

With 'Manual' you will need to ask for updates and won't receive any warning from the program. Again, do not have to uninstall.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

David90

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 02:10:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Technical!  So if I'm understanding you correctly (or if anyone else knows) once version 4.5 of Avast Home comes out of Beta, I can just install it over version 4.1.418 that I have installed now without having to un-install first, correct?

Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for your patience.