Author Topic: Can avast and private firewall be used together?  (Read 12348 times)

Saulius

Re: Can avast and private firewall be used together?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 08:17:33 AM »
@ a vast lover

I haven't tested Avast! with Private Firewall much, but AIUI they run pretty well acceptably together, but PFW isn't one of my top tier three free FW program choices. (That's not to say that it isn't Dr Ron Paul for you though!)

My 3 top tier free FWs are Comodo, Online Armour & Outpost.

My second, middle band tier programs that run successfully enough better than Windows are Private Firewall, PC Tool's FW (adware) and 'Windows 7 Firewall Control' which actually just uses the OS default much better than how Microsoft has it, with intuitive outbound control.

Also even with free Avast! and a free 3rd party FW I still recommend to use free versions of MBAM and SAS anti-malware/spyware.  

Zone Alarm doesn't function compatibly with Avast! AV and also inserts itself into your browsers, so I advise avoiding it altogether.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:58:57 AM by Saulius »

Offline Cast

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 02:20:15 AM »
Just tried using Private firewall with Avast, took fine at first, but after a restart wouldnt open the ui after sas wouldnt update because it was blocking its services.

angelmar

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
I installed comodo fire wall and then my wifi printer (hp 3050) didn't work on windows 7 64 bits. With avast fire wall, it works. i had a little problem on vista 32 bits then i had to reinstall my printer driver and everything was ok.
I don't think that comodo fire wall is a bad fire wall, but it is too difficult to configure it an not easy to use. avast fire wall seems efficient and is very easy to use, so i think that use an other fire wall can create problems and then you can't define if it is the avast fire wall or the other fire wall who create it.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 06:35:47 AM »
Just tried using Private firewall with Avast, took fine at first, but after a restart wouldnt open the ui after sas wouldnt update because it was blocking its services.
Did you exclude Avast and PFW from each other ? you need to set all processes of Avast and SAS to allow in PFW and add PFW to the exclusions in the Avast file system shield.
You may or may not have to add PFW's EXE files to the trusted list in behaviour shield as well.