Author Topic: What to use, to replace Avast U3?  (Read 14848 times)

forbin

What to use, to replace Avast U3?
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:28:17 AM »
I am a long-satisfied user of "Avast! Antivirus U3 Edition" which is now discontinued.

My subscription expires on 25 October 2011, and there is no way to extend the subscription!

So my question is, what should I be using as an alternative?  Is there a generic "USB" version available?

OR...

Do either the "Pro" or "Free" versions have a "green installation" option?  That is, can they be configured so they never modify the registry (writing such information to the USB disk, instead)?

Thanks in advance!
   -- forbin

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: What to use, to replace Avast U3?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »

forbin

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:45 AM »
Pondus:

Thanks for the very prompt reply, but it wasn't quite what I had in mind.  The Panda tool you quoted is just an autorun blocker.  And I'm not at all familiar with MCShield... but you've prompted me to do some research on them.

What I'm really looking for, however, is a version of avast! that I can install on my USB stick and run from there without leaving traces on the host computer.  This is typically known as a "green install" -- where the software stores all its configuration data in a disk file (such as an .INI or .dat file) instead of storing it in the registry.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:24:07 AM »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »
It has been discontinued...
The alternative, as said, will be ClamAV. But I won't trust that much in the detection rate.
Are you using this U3 stick in a computer without antivirus?
The best things in life are free.

forbin

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
Virtually all the computers I access at work or at home have some kind of antivirus, and most have comprehensive malware protection.

That is not guaranteed for EVERY computer I might need to use my primary or secondary USB thumbdrives on.  (Especially if that computer is owned by a naive user, or a public workstation such as one at the library!)

So, I really need a lightweight but GOOD virus scanner that I can run portably (i.e. "green") from my USB stick.  Avast U3 edition was and still is the best I've found. 

I'd like to continue using an Avast product.  The only other USB-specific products I'm aware of is McAfee (bloated, slow, and overpriced), TrustPort (short history and little information about them), and the previously recommended McShield (even less info).

forbin

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »
The question remains, is there an Avast product with a "green" install option?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
I believe the post prior to your's stated that it has been discontinued so that would mean no to your question.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
http://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/USB+antivirus   or just Google USB antivirus .

forbin

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »

I believe the post prior to your's stated that it has been discontinued so that would mean no to your question.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand your thinking there.  How does "Avast U3 Edition has been discontinued" (which I knew already, read my introductory post) equate to "No other edition of any Avast product has a green installation option"?

Maybe this will clarify the issue. 
The following are different things:
  • Software with a green install
  • Portable software targeted to use from USB drives
  • U3-compliant software

Each of the above categories is more restrictive than the ones above it.  Portable software must at least have a green install, but a "portable edition" might likely be smaller and have a different feature set, too.  Software that was U3-compliant had to additionally meet a BIG laundry list of very restrictive requirements in order to have that label.

It has already been settled that Avast has (understandably!) discontinued its U3 edition, and that there is not some other kind of "portable edition" replacing it.  I originally asked about the possible existence of the second of those options.  That has been answered.  I'm now only asking about the least-restrictive category.

Hopefully that clears things up!

--forbin

Montmorency

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:41 PM »
forbin,

The tone (demanding) of your posts, the bolds, the exclamation marks... make the ones who come here to help feel a bit bossed around.

That said, if your worry is USB's infections check Sandboxie's site, FAQ and forums.

P.S.  Googling around "green install" produces interesting results.

forbin

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 12:18:14 AM »
Montmorency:

I do apologize.  It was never my intent to have a bossy tone.

In particular, it surprises me that my use of formatting and punctuation were interpreted that way.  I will curtail my use of both (with one exception below).  Thank you for having the fortitude to point out how my posts could be interpreted.

I must also be honest and admit to feeling like I've been communicated with in a condescending manner by some [I'm not referring to you, here], and feeling a bit frustrated with the sense that perhaps not everyone was reading particularly attentively.  Even though I reminded myself that forums such as these are often staffed by volunteers or others who are quite busy, and that it's relatively easy both to miscommunicate and to misunderstand, I guess I let those emotions creep into my writing regardless of my desire to suppress them.

Again, apologies to all.

Sincerely,
-- forbin

forbin

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:34:07 AM »

P.S.  Googling around "green install" produces interesting results.

LOL.  I tried it and here's some of what I got:
- an environmentally-friendly contractor in Florida
- a reference to a trojan horse that disguises itself as an antivirus
- specifications for a WD hard drive
- a couple of posts about a turbocharger for a Mitsubishi
- information about a charging station for an electric car
- an article about an "Energy Star" installation of A/V equipment

I see what you mean about "interesting results."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 01:02:10 AM »
forbin, I can say that none of avast programs are prepared to run portable.
I'll suggest you take further security options through gpedit.msc policies in the public computers.
You can block USB drives in public computers or even forbid write to them.
Sorry, my computer is in Portuguese and it won't help to post here the entries. Maybe Googling.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 10:01:30 PM »
Emsisoft Emergency Kit 1.0 (freeware) might work for you. Emsisoft (formerly A-Squared) had a reputation for many false positives, but they have improved and are quick to respond when one is reported.