Author Topic: Taskbar Icon  (Read 5704 times)

Tootsy

Taskbar Icon
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »
Re:Vista 32bit w/sp2, Avast free version 6.0.1289
Can someone tell me whats causing the tray icon to continuously spin?? I've manually updated definitions and all shields are active.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Taskbar Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:03:39 AM »
You need to check the Shiels activity log and check what is being scanned...
Are you browsing?
Any scheduled scanning?
The best things in life are free.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:11:57 AM »
Hi,

That is a feature of Avast antivirus.it is an animation which assures that your PC is completely secured .Avast will scan all your files automatically ,in the background.

Have a wonderful day.. Good Karma!

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:29:02 AM »
Yes, check the shields activity.

If its spinning more when you are browsing, then check the webshield or script shield activity (for example - see pic, when my avast icon was continuously rotating on a site)

If not, check other shield activity - click on avast tray icon and click real time shields, check all shields' activity.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:32:22 AM by nmb »

Tootsy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:17:15 AM »
Thanks for help to all. My scripts shield is running. Looks just like the picture you showed. I have a window open and I'm listening to music on-line while I'm browsing away. Am I to understand that the icon will run constantly unless I manually stop it and this is normal behavior? Thanks again.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:24:07 AM »
Thanks for help to all. My scripts shield is running. Looks just like the picture you showed. I have a window open and I'm listening to music on-line while I'm browsing away. Am I to understand that the icon will run constantly unless I manually stop it and this is normal behavior? Thanks again.

No you don't have to stop it. There is actually a cache which should actually stop scanning the redundant/repetitive scripts, see more here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83740.0

So let us try and go a little bit deeper, please answer the questions:

Which version of avast do you have?

Can you post a screenshot of the activity?

On which website are you listening to music? - Please give us the link.

Tootsy

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 06:12:26 AM »
I'm using the Free version: 6.0.1289
Here's the website :http://www.jango.com/profiles/43520515?l=0

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »
Oh yeah, I experience the same. I will try and ask someone to take a look at it(probably someone from avast). Since this might be completely based on how script shield is designed to work. You may have to wait. Until then you can exclude it(the url) in settings of the shield.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:51:07 AM by nmb »

Tootsy

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
I did put the url in the exclusion for script shield but it still runs like a runaway train but only on that website. Thanks for your help. I will keep experimenting. Its just makes me loopy with that icon spinning like a top all the time.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »
I did put the url in the exclusion for script shield but it still runs like a runaway train but only on that website.

Add
Code: [Select]
http://www.jango.com/* to the exclusion list and it should stop scanning the scripts on the site.

Adding just
Code: [Select]
jango.com will not stop it from scanning.

Its just makes me loopy with that icon spinning like a top all the time.

It also eats some CPU cycles.

Thanks for your help.

You're Welcome.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:11:51 PM by nmb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »
I would be more specific in the use of wildcards as you are opening up a hole in security, exclude the specific file or file type.

e.g. http://www.jango.com/*.js or better still http://www.jango.com/*/play/*, which just excluded the play folder content. Though I would prefer it if you found the particular script file or file type causing the activity in the play folder and exclude that, as this maintains your protection and only allows the specific file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tootsy

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
I've added the code to the exclusion list and here are a couple of pictures with the result. These exclusions worked fine in the Chrome browser but did not change a thing when I tried this the first time in IE8. I'm just curious about that if you would have any ideas on why the one browser it worked in and not the other? At any rate it appears to work fine now and its no longer scanning constantly.It seems to be stable and the tray icon has calmed down also. Many thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
Adding the second exclusion trumps the first as it excludes scripts on the whole site and leaves a massive hole in security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tootsy

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 03:44:23 AM »
I did some experimenting and this is what I found. I removed all exclusions from the script shield. I opened IE8 browser and signed in to the internet streaming site normally. Immediately after clicking on login the script shield went crazy. I logged out and closed the IE8 browser completely. Now I open the not so lightening fast Google Chrome browser and open the same site as before but this time after logging in there is no noticeable difference in the script shield activity. I let the website play my music for a time and then close everything. I've decided that I will only use this particular site in Chrome so I don't have to exclude anything and leave any holes uncovered. I only wish I had tried this earlier and saved you all some time and effort going back and forth with this issue of mine. I'm hardly a wizard, a novice at best with things like this so I try to keep it as simple as possible. All appears good and stable as long as I use the program as stated above. Please feel free to suggest or correct if you believe there is anything I might be overlooking. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
You're welcome.

Whilst I don't use IE if I can help it (firefox is my default) I would find switching browser just for that site a bit much (I don't like Chrome much either). I would have stuck with the single specific exclusion.