Author Topic: Can't find Mail Protection Wizard  (Read 4663 times)

davidt

Can't find Mail Protection Wizard
« on: November 13, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »
I know this sounds silly but I no longer appear to have a mail protection wizard.

I'm running Windows XP home and the email scanner is working fine.  I'm running the new release of Avast!
I know with XP the scanner is automatic but am curious to know why I can' find the MPW.

It was under Start>Programs>Avast!>Mail Protection Wizard but there is no longer an option for this there.

All I have is Avast!, Avast Web Site and Help.

Is this me being silly or should I still be able to find it on XP?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Can't find Mail Protection Wizard
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 11:06:51 PM »
Well the MPW is now deprecated. Basically there's no need for it. Why do you need to run it?

(of course, this only applies to NT-based Windows systems).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

davidt

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 11:19:54 PM »
I don't! as I said previously, but just wondered why I couldn't find it when help appears to say its still there.  Basically want to make sure my new installation is okay.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 11:23:42 PM »
The help still says it should be there?
In this case it should be fixed. Where is it exactly, please?

BTW yes, I believe your installation is fine (at least - lack of the MPW shortcut in the Start menu group is normal).

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

davidt

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 12:54:11 PM »
This is what I found in help:

The avast! package contains the Mail Protection Wizard that can be used for easy settings of mail protection. This program can be started via Start button on Windows taskbar, Start ® Programs ® avast! Antivirus ® Mail Protection Wizard.

Thanks for the confirmation the installation is okay.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »
Hi david,

Part of what you're running into is that the Help files are "generic" in several ways -- they cover most versions of Win, for instance, and in particular 4-Home and 4-Pro share the same set of Help files.  So you'll occasionally run into references there to features and operations you don't have (or at least can't use) on your particular installation.

And no fault to the Alwil team for this -- obviously it would be a lot more work, with increased chance of error, to keep several totally separate and independent sets of Help files accurately up to date.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent