Author Topic: Ask about creating a restore point  (Read 8140 times)

ltobe

Ask about creating a restore point
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Hello,

During install or uninstall Avast, Software steps to create a restore point. I find this is a very good step. However, to kill the virus to be effective, must disable System Restore operating system, so there is any contradiction here?

Thanks.

jrace

Re: Ask about creating a restore point
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:22 AM »
Hello,

During install or uninstall Avast, Software steps to create a restore point. I find this is a very good step. However, to kill the virus to be effective, must disable System Restore operating system, so there is any contradiction here?

Thanks.

Not the best idea you ever had!
But if you need it here is a link how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-system-restore-in-windows-vista/

ltobe

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Hello,

Thanks.

Not the best idea you ever had!
But if you need it here is a link how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-system-restore-in-windows-vista/

Hello,

I do not have to ask how to turn off System Restore in my computer. Here, I want to ask the Avast create a restore point in the process of installing and uninstalling it will get the benefit brought to the computer. I ask because the virus scan to be effectiveit must turn off System Restore.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
Well even if it were to ask about creating a restore point before installation or uninstall, that doesn't impact on avast's ability/effectiveness to remove viruses.

Avast operates at a low level and can remove viruses without having to disable system restore. If it couldn't then all of your good restore points would be lost if system restore were disabled.

Should avast find a virus in a restore point it can also remove that, without having to disable system restore with the loss of good restore points.

I'm no fan of system restore as it isn't 100%, isn't a backup system and can have unexpected consequences, but it is better than nothing. It has been disabled for years on my system, but I have hard disk imaging in its place, you can't just decide to disable it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ltobe

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
Common advice is to disable System Restore to kill virus effectively. If you turn it up to backup complete virus scan computer and then tell please do not do well.

How do you think about this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
Yes it is common advice, but it is also 'old' advice and must modern AVs are capable of dealing effectively with a virus without having to disable system restore.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
Yes it is common advice, but it is also 'old' advice and must modern AVs are capable of dealing effectively with a virus without having to disable system restore.
I never had to disable system restore when installing avast! on my systems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »
I never had to disable system restore when installing avast! on my systems.
It's not on installing avast.
It's while removing infections.
The best things in life are free.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:10:31 PM »
Hi,

You dont need to disable the System Restore point in your computer. As David mentioned before, Avast is capable of finding infections even from previous restore ponits. Plus its not a good idea to turn off or disable the System Restore Point utility, since it provides a recovery option for you.

Hope you are happy with avast!. Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
Any infected restore point, when cleaned by avast, will be automatically broken to Windows, i.e., you can't restore it.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:16 PM »
From my point of view an infected restore point is better than none, as sometimes malware removal can go wrong, necessitating restoring and using a different approach

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:18:49 PM »
essexboy, we can Mount and Access System Restore Points in Windows Using System Restore Explorer
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19387.msg697022#msg697022

I think the opposite, do not restore malware is better.
You can mount and restore only the files you need back from that restore point.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
Well which ever way you do it, you still have to have system restore enabled to be have any restore points to mount.

That is what we are all saying in a round about way (system restore enabled is better than nothing), disabling system restore is a bad idea as your first option when dealing with malware, you have no restore points and no options left (mount or otherwise).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
Well which ever way you do it, you still have to have system restore enabled to be have any restore points to mount.

That is what we are all saying in a round about way (system restore enabled is better than nothing), disabling system restore is a bad idea as your first option when dealing with malware, you have no restore points and no options left (mount or otherwise).
Ok. We're saying the same.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
Neat Tech I will have a look at that  ;D