Author Topic: problem with MS updates  (Read 8088 times)

jayt

problem with MS updates
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »
I have avast free v. 6.0.1289 on two computers. One is on Windows 7 and one is on WinXp Sp3.When MS sends out updates, the Windows 7 updates without any problem, but the Xp version pops up Avast on some updates and requests that it allow them. Sometimes it only requires clicking on Allow. Sometimes, it requires shutting down Avast before the update can continue. How can I fix this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: problem with MS updates
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »
You don't need to shut down avast in any situation.
Set the avast autosandbox to ask (instead of automatic) and allow the Windows Updates to run.
The best things in life are free.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
Hi jayt.

Make sure that you never turn off avast! in your computer. Its not recommented. Because it will make your computer vulnerable.

Have a wonderful day Good Karma! :)

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
Jayt.

Welcome to the club. It is a pain. Ever since installing Avast 6, I am also having those alerts by Behavioral shield. They are related to installment of .NETFramework updates and this past Tuesday I also got one alert by Outlook filter and one by Silverlight. There were about 40 alerts in total.

Since all are related to C:\WINDOWS\Installer\xxxxx.tmp, don´t know how would affect security if those file are given a wild card status in the Trusted Processes section of Behavior Shield as C:\Windows\Installer\*.tmp. I suppose that it would create a big hole in Avast since all Windows installer using a temp file would go thruogh undetected.

Anyway you could set in Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Main Settings >  " Action to take " to ask and then every Microsoft update have to be there to allow the Alert. A pain I know.

Regards.

@ Tech

These are the same alerts we talked about a few months ago in the Spanish Forum. They are not generated by autosandbox but by Behavioural Shield.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:54:07 PM by iroc9555 »

jayt

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »
Thanks iroc9555. You have it correct. It is an installer file that has to be given permission to run. And it is a pain. Guess we will have to grin and bear it -and click and click on the "allow"  ;)    
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:08:13 PM by jayt »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »
Or disable Behavior Shield only for a while, not all the avast shields.

DBone

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
Or set the Behavior Shield to Auto-Decide.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »
Or set the Behavior Shield to Auto-Decide.
And what if it blocks then?

DBone

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »
Auto-Decide has yet to cause a single issue on any of the 7 family members' machines that I maintain, with all sorts of different OS's and architecture.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
Auto-Decide has yet to cause a single issue on any of the 7 family members' machines that I maintain, with all sorts of different OS's and architecture.
Yeah. You're right. But, after all, avast could fault and block the Windows Updates.

DBone

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
I guess anything's possible, but Auto-Decide is the default setting and works great. People start tinkering with settings without fully understanding the ramifications of doing so, and they have "problems".  ;)

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 01:04:44 AM »
@ DBone.

Well I suppose that if Avast Behavior Shield stop those .tmp files in ask mode, they will be stopped in autodecide too. Is it not the funtion of Behavior Shield to stop any file that do not have a range of criteria set for Avast ? The only differece between Autodecide and ask is that in ask mode the user decide while in autodecide Avast does, and if the file is outside that criteria the alert is popping out for the user to decide what to do, and I quote:

" ...The default action is "Auto-decide", which means avast! will decide whether or not it should be allowed based on a range of criteria,......If the action is changed to "Ask" you will see a message whenever such activity is detected and you will need to confirm whether or not it should be allowed. "

I believe those .tmp files during the installment of NET Framework are out side Avast criteria and that is why the alerts come out. Why this is happening in some systems and others are not ? well that is something that scape me.

Regards.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »
I think auto decide would probably be well refined for windows update, but me I prefer to have it on Ask and yes windows updates can be somewhat noisy in the behavior shield set to Ask.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DBone

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »
@ DBone.

Well I suppose that if Avast Behavior Shield stop those .tmp files in ask mode, they will be stopped in autodecide too. Is it not the funtion of Behavior Shield to stop any file that do not have a range of criteria set for Avast ? The only differece between Autodecide and ask is that in ask mode the user decide while in autodecide Avast does, and if the file is outside that criteria the alert is popping out for the user to decide what to do, and I quote:

" ...The default action is "Auto-decide", which means avast! will decide whether or not it should be allowed based on a range of criteria,......If the action is changed to "Ask" you will see a message whenever such activity is detected and you will need to confirm whether or not it should be allowed. "

I believe those .tmp files during the installment of NET Framework are out side Avast criteria and that is why the alerts come out. Why this is happening in some systems and others are not ? well that is something that scape me.

Regards.

Again, 7 different machines, ranging from XP x32, Vista x64 and W7 x64, all with avast! installed for over a couple of years, and I have never had one pop-up during a MS update. The people I maintain computers for are not a very computer savvy bunch, so any pop-up would almost be the end of the world. I have changed a few settings that I wanted, but I left the Behavior Shields @ Auto-Decide.

On my machine, (when I had the BS installed), I had it set to ask for a short period of time and I received notifications while updating Chrome, Flash and Windows Updates too. I quickly reset it to Auto-Decide and have long since uninstalled it.

iroc9555

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 04:55:07 AM »
@ DBone.

Will follow advice next Microsoft Tuesday. Will switch to AutoDecide for updates. Report later. Thank you.
Regards.