Author Topic: How do you locate files saved in sandbox (and transfer them out)?  (Read 15517 times)

1eyedjack

Per subject header, please?
Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How do you locate files saved in sandbox (and transfer them out)?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »
does this help you...

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=750

https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=602
In avast! Free Antivirus 6.x any downloaded files and application settings will be automatically deleted when the AutoSandbox is closed because this version doesn't include full Sandbox module and its enhancements.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
Is this the avast Pro or AIS version ?

If so - I don't know if you can export after downloaded them (presumably that is what you did ?), what is it that you saved ?

You can change settings Sandbox settings (see image extract of avast Help Center) the downloaded files can be saved to your normal location "automatically detect default locations for saved/downloaded files and save files to these locations outside the sandbox"
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

1eyedjack

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
Thank you both.  For the avoidance of doubt I am using Avast Internet Security (the max. package) version 6.0.1289.

I have been through the links that Pondus supplied but did not find the answer.

I am used to using Sandboxie which was quite user friendly in accessing the sandbox contents and selectively restoring them to the main system.  You could even run multiple sandboxes although that seemed a bit of overkill.  Never found the need for that myself.

Anyway, to get back on topic, if I open a web browser (IE9 as it happens) in a sandbox and download a file therein, I see that it saves the downloaded file outside the sandbox, presumably due to a config setting that I have selected, in the "additionional protection", "Sandbox", "Web browsers" section of the GUI ("automatically detect default locations etc etc" checked).

The problem appears to be with programs other than the web browser, launched within the sandbox, and which save certain data files to disk.  These are NOT appearing outside in the selected folder locations once I exit the programs, which leads me to conclude that there is a mirror of the folder location within the sandbox that contains the offending files, which I should then be able to "recover" to the main area manually (at least, that is the way that sandboxie works).

I could give examples of the applications, but you probably would never have heard of them and in any case the particular app is irrelevant to the generic question in the OP.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
I don't use the sandbox, so I'm not familiar with it and don't have any practical experience of it. But I would imaging there is something different in that these programs are not downloading in the same way as a browser so the "automatically detect default locations" isn't working.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
If you know where these files are saved when run outside the sandbox you can go to Sandbox---Expert Settings---Exclusions and exclude those locations.   The program should continue to save those updated files to their default location.

1eyedjack

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
Thank you.

Am I to understand that unless I include the program in the list of exclusions, then the file does not get saved at all?

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
i asked the same thing awhile back and tech(forum user)sent me a program that does this.you can retrieve files from the sandbox.hopefully he will pop in this thread.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
I "IM'd" Tech. He should be along in a bit.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 01:46:19 AM »
i asked the same thing awhile back and tech(forum user)sent me a program that does this.you can retrieve files from the sandbox.hopefully he will pop in this thread.

Why would you need a special program to do this?

Isn't that what "Exclusions" is supposed to do?

Or is the program in lieu of using Exclusions?

Since Sandbox is supposed to delete all downloaded files and changes to files when you exit Sandbox wouldn't it be better to be able to just set it, through Exclusions and forget it?  Or does the program auto pull them out and update them as you work in sandbox?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
Here it is http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/snxConfig.exe
You can further "tweak" the sandbox.
The best things in life are free.