Author Topic: best av testing lab  (Read 6926 times)

alpha1

best av testing lab
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
what do you think is the most reliable/credible independent av testing lab?  ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: best av testing lab
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
Shadow Server statistic   http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/    

lower left side for statistics   daily > Three Year
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:55:44 PM by Pondus »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:56:29 PM »
Best is subjective and rather depends on what the testing lab is looking for. But the biggest thing is do they document the methodology of the test/s AV settings and the sample size, etc. etc.

So it is hard to say but av-comparatives is probably one of the best, if nothing more than its openness and methodology documentation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:12:04 PM »
what do you think is the most reliable/credible independent av testing lab?  ???
My own system. ;)

alpha1

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
david,i agree with you,however,av-comparatives still seems to be lacking some tests,i.e testing certain aspects of programs,and also could be more strict.

gargamel,u dont really believe that do you?

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:31:20 PM »
Well, yes and no.   It depends on what you want from a test, what your expectations or interests are. 

Just more or less saying, tests are only relevant to a point, no matter who is doing the testing.  What works for me on my system and keeps me safe trumps any test. 

alpha1

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »
Well, yes and no.   It depends on what you want from a test, what your expectations or interests are. 

Just more or less saying, tests are only relevant to a point, no matter who is doing the testing.  What works for me on my system and keeps me safe trumps any test. 

yes you can test a program's impact on system resources etc. ,but you cant possibly test detection.

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »
yes you can test a program's impact on system resources etc. ,but you cant possibly test detection.
You want a broad test that gives you the best possible snapshot of a AV's detection performance on a large scale, you don't consider the small amount of samples an end-user comes into contact with any measure of detection.  (at least, thats what I assume)

I'm not disagreeing with that.  But so many new infection samples on average per day, changes the various AV vendors make to their databases....all this and more makes it hard for me to take even these large tests too seriously, because they are periodical (usually quarterly?) and so I mostly discard them as cues to the long-term detection performance of AVs, and just try to focus on what appears to serve me well.

The only test I could think of that would impress me would be something fed real-time, or at least daily, and that seems to me to be a massive undertaking that couldn't get the support it needed to keep running, if it was even possible to start.

alpha1

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »
gargamel,i dont think anyone (including testing labs) is claiming that these results are a 100% representation of an avs current state,but merely to get an idea of different av solutions' efficacy.i agree with you on that none of the current testing methodology is satisfactory (in any aspect of an av).

btw,what are pirates,robots,pirate robots,etc.? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:41 AM »
So it is hard to say but av-comparatives is probably one of the best, if nothing more than its openness and methodology documentation.
+1
The best things in life are free.

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:32 AM »
gargamel,i dont think anyone (including testing labs) is claiming that these results are a 100% representation of an avs current state,but merely to get an idea of different av solutions' efficacy.
No, nobody says that, and these test serve a purpose...but a lot of people take the reports as gospel.  There is no fault involved there, just the nature of the beast.

Lol, where did that come from?  Old posts coming back to haunt me. ;D
It was just my way of blowing off someone who was wanting Avast! to "be like ESET", just a play on ESET's whole creepy mannequin-robot advertising theme.

alpha1

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:16 AM »
Lol, where did that come from?  Old posts coming back to haunt me. ;D
It was just my way of blowing off someone who was wanting Avast! to "be like ESET", just a play on ESET's whole creepy mannequin-robot advertising theme.

too bad,i thought there was a story or background information that i could add to my info .
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:02:07 PM by alpha1 »

Mayflower

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »

They are organized http://www.amtso.org/members.html

alpha1

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »
They are organized http://www.amtso.org/members.html

that link just pretty much lists most av companies. ???

alpha1

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
i really thought i'd get a lot more feedback on a subject like this.   :'(