Author Topic: Why Internet so slow?  (Read 12550 times)

boing77

Re: Why Internet so slow?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
What are the names of the leftover folders?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
What are the names of the leftover folders?
Microsoft Antimalware and Microsoft Security Client

boing77

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »

[/quote]

Thanks.  Ran the Uninstaller and removed the folders and will keep an eye on it

Nesivos

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
Er...I posted after trying Speedtest 15 times

I disabled the WebRep add-on already - small improvement

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i5 760 OC, 4GB. 

Speedtest results vary from ca. 3.5 Mbps to ca. 7 Mbps, but 80% of results below 5.  It's a 10 Mbps cable connection and has been solid for as long as I can remember (obviously sometimes the connection will have a glitch but very infrequently, in my 4 year experience)

What Browser are you using including version #?

What Browser addons/extensions are you using?

Having used Firefox with NoScript for years I have noticed that sometimes updates to them can slow my browsing down.  Sometimes I also see the Orange ball rotating when I go a website and sometimes not so much.

Have you noticed more Orange ball rotation when surfing to some websites vs other websites?

Personally I will always prefer a delay in opening a website than no delay because I trust my Browser built in defense mechanisms and my security software.  But that is just me. :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

Thanks.  Ran the Uninstaller and removed the folders and will keep an eye on it
[/quote]
No worries, if your confident in the registry you can also run a search there for Microsoft Antimalware as there is a few leftover keys there also but if your not sure then dont bother.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »
Hi boing77

As we said before please remove all the security softwares from the computer. Its recommended to have only one security software in the computer at a time. Hope the issue will be fixed, once you remove all of them apart from avast!.

Have a wonderful day.. Good Karma!.

boing77

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »

What Browser are you using including version #?

What Browser addons/extensions are you using?

Having used Firefox with NoScript for years I have noticed that sometimes updates to them can slow my browsing down.  Sometimes I also see the Orange ball rotating when I go a website and sometimes not so much.

Have you noticed more Orange ball rotation when surfing to some websites vs other websites?

Personally I will always prefer a delay in opening a website than no delay because I trust my Browser built in defense mechanisms and my security software.  But that is just me. :)

FF 7.01
ABP
DownThemAll
Flashblock
Ghostery
Readability
PDF Converter 7

I have not looked at the orange ball at all

boing77

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:03 PM »
Hi boing77

As we said before please remove all the security softwares from the computer. Its recommended to have only one security software in the computer at a time. Hope the issue will be fixed, once you remove all of them apart from avast!.

Have a wonderful day.. Good k@rma!.

Thanks for the tip, but I would prefer not as I do not believe that all of them do the same job

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
Thanks for the tip, but I would prefer not as I do not believe that all of them do the same job
Which ones? The ones you've posted before or other ones?
The best things in life are free.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
Hi,

If you have multiple security softwares in the computer, each of them will load a number of kernel system driver files. Since these driver files are running simultaneously, they will eat up your system resourses which will make your computer to run very slow. So that is the reason why, we insist you to remove all the security softwares from the computer and just keep your avast! in it.

Hope you are happy with us. Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)

alpha1

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 01:39:58 AM »
1. also have the MBAM, SB S&D, Spywareblaster, SuperAntiSpyware but nothing scans in the background, they are all used on demand

1. You are "overprotected", imo. Drop SB, Spywareblaster and SAS.

+1

boing77,avast (and any respectable av) does not affect internet speed; even webshield,network shield etc. shouldn't have any impact,unless there's a problem with installation,or previous av uninstallations,leftovers,conflicts,etc.

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:16 AM »
Generally speaking, there should be a relatively simple way to test this, at least in a basic way (which won't consider all factors, but it's a start).

Reboot your system, so to eliminate any other potential problems (like resources not being released correctly by some program ran before).

After rebooting, wait at least 10 minutes before running the following test. Be sure Windows (or any program) is not using your bandwith (for example to update something).

Then, while Avast shields are active, test with speedtest. Write down the results (which you should repeat at least 3 times to see the distribution of values).

Now right click on Avast's tray icon and disable all shields. Test again speedtest with the same server (also several times, writing down the results).

Compare the results. This is not going to give you the whole picture, as other things may be conflicting with Avast shields too, and other possible features of Avast may be affecting the results (who knows what the firewall is doing, just to mention an example, using your own logic and suspicions). In addition, your normal browsing is performed all over the world, while speedtest is testing with a specific server (usually the one closer to you geographically, but you could select it too).

So, although it's not a definitive test, and the results may point to a wrong conclusion too, it may be worth to test the difference.

I would even repeat the tests after, say, 30 minutes and without rebooting, writing down all the results, always using the same testing server.

Please post the speedtest results here.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:47 PM »
Reboot your modem after 30 seconds & get your service provider to do a line test

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »
There is no part of SpywareBlaster resident in memory when the program is closed.

Where is the process? Why can't I see it running (in Task Manager)?

SpywareBlaster is passive protection. It plugs the holes that spyware and other potentially unwanted software use to get in to your system. As such, there is no running process - and no CPU and memory usage either. All you have to do is remember to update SpywareBlaster once a week, and enable the latest protection.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 03:54:51 PM »
There is no part of SpywareBlaster resident in memory when the program is closed.
+1

See SpywareBlaster FAQ 5.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html#FAQ