Author Topic: is 127.0.0.1 gone  (Read 3897 times)

hetzer

is 127.0.0.1 gone
« on: November 15, 2004, 06:22:37 AM »
Has the localhost setting been dropped by Avast at Home? My Mailwasher app uses the old setting and has started giving trouble getting email.

Mozilla seems to have dropped the localhost settings "on the fly" and now has the ISP's server address in its settings although I could swear I had originally, manually set it up to use localhost (127.0.01 etc).

Also I have Moz. Thunderbird which has the localhost settings and it now no longer seems to be able to get my email!

Do I need to reset all email clients to the ISP servers and stop trying to use localhost?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:is 127.0.0.1 gone
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 06:23:56 AM »
Please read the post on the first page from me, Igor and Vlk in THIS THREAD.

Does it solve your problem?

hetzer

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:41:58 AM »
1. Yes Eddy!
2. And the answer to my question also appears to be YES!

Although I can still get intermittant correct function with Mailwasher and Mozilla / Thunderbird mail they now work perfectly with the localhost settings replaced with the ISP originals!

It would have been nice if Alwil had informed us "manual" freaks of the change! I for one am allergic to anything called "Wizard" after years of bitter experience with Borg of Microsoft's "Wizards"!!

hetzer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 07:51:39 PM »
I fear I spoke too soon!
Despite making the recommended changes to avast I am still having email problems and now cannot download without the feed dwindling down to nothing within minutes.

I have a Blueyonder 1500bps connection and the only change before the degredation was the avast upgrade!

Ms Service pack 2 had been making no trouble, I have had it for as long as it has been available, I have done an in depth virus scan and also used Spybot and Adaware 6 scans and Registry First aid, None of these reported any problems and needless to say Telewest deny any connectivity issues in my area!

I am at a total loss to explain why my broadband internet has become next to unuseable! Even webpages are now giving trouble with many never completing and the browser's "busy" symbol just endlessly spinning without any activity!

I use Mozilla for email and browsing I tried uninstalling my current version (1.72) then reinstalling the latest version but the change made no difference!

I cannot help suspecting that Avast may be a factor!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 07:55:10 PM »
Ms Service pack 2 had been making no trouble, I have had it for as long as it has been available
Do you have the official release or the rc?

start > run > winver

SlimJim

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 11:23:08 PM »
After Avast updated to 4.5.523 on my computer this morning, I no longer could receive or send email. I had to go and remove 127.0.0.1 and myname#etc. and replace with my ISP e-mail settings for server name and user name. It took me most of the day to get the answer to my problem (which I did from this Forum), but it sure would have been nice if Avast had alerted users to this problem at the time of the update.

I do have a question: how can I tell if Avast is presently scanning my incoming e-mail? I read some references to this in the Forum, but not clear how to tell if Avast is actually scanning e-mail. I understand the reason I originally used 127.0.0.1, etc., was to get Avast to scan my e-mail....Thanks for any help....Jim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 03:26:53 PM »
how can I tell if Avast is presently scanning my incoming e-mail?

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2004), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)
The best things in life are free.

hetzer

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 08:42:09 PM »
My windoze Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2)

I have heard from several people with similar problems, some have cable like me and another antivirus solution. Another has an ADSL connection and has Avast. SO far the common factor seems to be Service Pack 2. One has no problems AND has never installed service pack 2!!!!

I ran some broadband speed tests and the ping return from some was so bad the test aborted. Large downloads ALL FAIL, usually seconds after starting at full speed the speed dwindles down and comes to a dead stop! Many webpages start to open but never fully complete!

My brother has exactly the same problems and is ADSL with Tiscali! His sopeeds are worse than dialup!! In conversation with the Tiscali tech he was told that Service Pack 2 was the culprit!

I have been running with Service pack 2 since it was available but the problems are only 2 weeks old at the most!!

I am stumped and the way forward seems to me to be
1.  Uninstall service pack 2, which I dread yet the Tiscali rep seemed to think would be easy!
2. Do what I should have done months ago and get another linux disto. The most trouble free period I have ever had was when I had a PII then a PIII with Mandrake linux running! Then I would know if the problem was the OS or on the ISP's side!!