Author Topic: Why was Web Shield off?  (Read 6505 times)

k3nny

Why was Web Shield off?
« on: October 31, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
Hi, when I turned on the computer. It said on Avast that system not secure and Web Shield was off. I did not turn off the Web Shield?

I'm using Internet Security.
Windows 7 64 bit.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:49:54 PM by k3nny »

Gargamel360

Re: Why was Web Shield off?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
This was right after or during startup?   Did it turn itself back on?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed, e.g. firewall, anti-spyware, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
This also happened to me too. After a reboot, Avast was OK.

If it is necessary, click on "fix now" in Avast and then reboot.

k3nny

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
It was, when everything was loaded. I had to turn Web Shield back on. I used to have Eset Internet Security, but I uninstalled it from the Control Panel.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »
Well, you should run the specific removal utility for any security tool you have uninstalled (that is, besides the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel applet.

Other than that, I'd like to ask, is this behaviour / problem new? I mean, was web shield loading correctly before?

k3nny

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
I started using Avast 4 days ago.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
Eset removal tool is here, please read the info first as eset has certain removal instructions in win7 http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ number 12 in the list.
Reboot after running tool and then do a repair of avast via add remove programs then reboot again.

warlock

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
The same thing sometimes happens to me when I start the PC while my connection to LAN is OK, but connection to Internet isn't. The shield is actually running and scanning the traffic, but is wrongly detected as being off. Can't figure out why the connection to Internet should matter in this case, but it doesn't happen in other cases.

k3nny

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
The uninstaller removed 1) ESS/EAV/EMSX. It should be OK now. Thank you.

mitchell64

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:27 AM »
I have the same problem on random occasions, Avast is the only AV that has been on any of my machines. It only happens on my Windows 7 laptop, i even restored to a clean image of windows (so no previous builds of Avast only fresh install) and it still does it.

As warlock stated web shield is actually working it is just the UI & tray icon reporting the web shield is turned off.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:18:46 AM by mitchell64 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:49:45 AM »
I have the same problem on random occasions, Avast is the only AV that has been on any of my machines. It only happens on my Windows 7 laptop, i even restored to a clean image of windows (so no previous builds of Avast only fresh install) and it still does it.

As warlock stated web shield is actually working it is just the UI & tray icon reporting the web shield is turned off.
Was there any preinstalled AV on the laptop when you purchased it ? are you using any exclusions between avast and comodo ?

mitchell64

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »

Was there any preinstalled AV on the laptop when you purchased it ? are you using any exclusions between avast and comodo ?

No i always format the pre installed OEM with bloat ware & purchase a retail disk of windows so it is just plain Windows 7 and drivers downloaded from HP.

I did the same with my Vista Laptop & XP desktop but it is only happening with Seven i use exactly the same software on all 3 computers such as browsers, open office etc etc

Yes exclusions are in place with Avast & Comodo Firewall only (no D+) and as i say my other 2 machines are using Avast & CFP with exactly the same configurations and no web shield problem

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »
The only thing i can suggest at this stage is doing a repair whenever it happens as it only occures periodically which makes it hard to pinpoint.
A few weeks ago i did have some app's ( bigpond internet quick start and the safely remove icon ) that weren't responding correctly in the taskbar and found that because i had disabled bluetooth support in services it was messing with something, dont ask me why because these apps had nothing to do with bluetooth but by enabling support again fixed the problem.

mitchell64

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
The only thing i can suggest at this stage is doing a repair whenever it happens as it only occures periodically which makes it hard to pinpoint.
A few weeks ago i did have some app's ( bigpond internet quick start and the safely remove icon ) that weren't responding correctly in the taskbar and found that because i had disabled bluetooth support in services it was messing with something, dont ask me why because these apps had nothing to do with bluetooth but by enabling support again fixed the problem.

Thanks for your responses craigb, for myself i am not overly worried about it and it does not happen very often. I have tried all sorts of things and configurations to remedy it but to no avail it does not really bother me anymore and the reality is web shield is still working when this happens it is just a case of hitting the fix now button to get the UI to stop reporting that web shield is off.

I have seen this problem reported by a number of users not only in this thread maybe it is time to consider there might be a UI bug

Thanks again for taking the time craigb