Author Topic: Download  (Read 8677 times)

sgrbrlnd

Re:Download
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 06:26:55 PM »
It changes the file type associations for the file extension, so windows opens Script Defender (SD) and asks if it's OK, then SD passes the request to the correct program. So there is not much to go wrong.

You are saying that  at any file open SD is called  ?!?
It should be a big overload ! Where did you read how it works ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »

He's saying that all the files - but only these ones - which extension you set into SD will be scanned. If you add the extension *.doc, all Microsoft Word Documents will be scanned by SD due to the file type association will be with SD and not Word.

It won't scan files which extension were not added in SD list.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 06:53:35 PM »
It changes the file type associations for the file extension, so windows opens Script Defender (SD) and asks if it's OK, then SD passes the request to the correct program. So there is not much to go wrong.

No! only script files that are part of the default SD list or other file extensions that are not in the default list that you would like to be intercepted. You only add those that you believe to be a potential threat.

It is no overhead at all, I rarely have it pop-up at all and even then it is for protection. You have to decide what you want protection or convenience/overhead.

I learnt how it worked simply by experience of using the program. If you click on a file that has an extension that is in the list, SD pops up (so it must be intercepting the windows file associations) and once you say it is ok to execute the script, etc. the program/script is executed/run as normal (so SD must be passing off the file to the original program that would have been called).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sgrbrlnd

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 07:07:29 PM »

OK. then SD for the files in the intercept list  ask if the program that asked them can be executed .
I had never had this pop -up !
I'll  try again.....Thanks.