Author Topic: Why can't I access my local hard drive when the firewall is active?  (Read 3183 times)

goobster

On Windows XP, after installing the paid version of Avast, if I open a command prompt and try to access a UNC path like "\\David\Backups" (which translates to a local drive on my computer) I get the command prompt error message "The network path was not found".

If I then stop the firewall in the Avast user interface, I can then access the path with no problems.

[Interestingly, if I then re-start the firewall I can STILL access the path until I reboot. ???]

I have the Home/Low risk zone set, so why can't I access a drive on my own computer? Is there anything I can do about this? I want the UNC path because this is in a script used by more than one computer on my home network.

iyogisolutions1

Re: Why can't I access my local hard drive when the firewall is active?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
Hi goobster,

You can add a packet rule in the avast! Firewall, to access your drive through UNC path. For that go to,

avast! GUI -> Firewall -> Firewall Settings -> Expert Settings -> Policies -> Packet Rules(on bottom right) -> Check the Windows Networking In and Windows Networking Out. -> Click on OK.

Try to access the drive and report back. Hope you will be able to access it.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)

goobster

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
Thanks iYogiSolutions1, adding the Windows networking to the packet rules fixed it. I can now successfully access UNC paths.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »
Thanks iYogiSolutions1, adding the Windows networking to the packet rules fixed it.

You are welcome.

marsheng

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
Thanks Same problem and this fixed it.

Fitter

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
Hi goobster,

You can add a packet rule in the avast! Firewall, to access your drive through UNC path. For that go to,

avast! GUI -> Firewall -> Firewall Settings -> Expert Settings -> Policies -> Packet Rules(on bottom right) -> Check the Windows Networking In and Windows Networking Out. -> Click on OK.

Try to access the drive and report back. Hope you will be able to access it.

Have a wonderful day. Good k@rma! :)

Yes fixed it for me also Many thanks