Author Topic: Quite anoying messages - susspicious e-mail found?  (Read 4244 times)

trejder

Quite anoying messages - susspicious e-mail found?
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:32:43 PM »
Hi!

avast! 4.5. Win XP HE SP2. Outlook Express 6 Autoupdate.

Whenever avast! founds on the server a message that it thinks is susspicious, he alerts me and ask if I want to Continue or Delete this message. Although I keep answering Delete, the message stays on the server and the ask returns whenever OE checks mail again.

1. Is this because I DON'T set SMTP settings in configuration? And - if yes - shouldn't avast! check that SMTP fields are empty (and therefore it cannot delete message, even if user agree to do so!) and in this situation show different message like "A susspicious e-mail was found on your server but avast! cannot delete it as your SMTP settings are empty" ???

2. How can I protect (or allow avast! to delete susspicious messages from) all my e-mail accounts, if there are SMTP settings for only one?

Best regards and thanks for avast!
Tom

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Quite anoying messages - susspicious e-mail found?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:50:52 AM »
Whenever avast! founds on the server a message that it thinks is susspicious, he alerts me and ask if I want to Continue or Delete this message. Although I keep answering Delete, the message stays on the server and the ask returns whenever OE checks mail again.

Why don't you disable the Heuristics for email into Internet Mail provider?

1. Is this because I DON'T set SMTP settings in configuration? And - if yes - shouldn't avast! check that SMTP fields are empty (and therefore it cannot delete message, even if user agree to do so!) and in this situation show different message like "A susspicious e-mail was found on your server but avast! cannot delete it as your SMTP settings are empty" ???

There is nothing to do with smtp settings (in my opinion).

2. How can I protect (or allow avast! to delete susspicious messages from) all my e-mail accounts, if there are SMTP settings for only one?

You can't configurate just one account to be checked by Heuristics. Or you have all or none. But, as I said, it has nothing to do with smtp.
The best things in life are free.

trejder

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 09:47:29 AM »
Why don't you disable the Heuristics for email into Internet Mail provider?

I don't understand you! I DON'T want to disable this feature. I'm happy and satisfied with it. I want it to check my incomming mail. I only ask, if it does nothing with SMTP settings, what do I do wrong or what should I change for avast! to have possibility of deleting messages, he find susspicious?

Tom

P.S.: I'm checking your quite long list of avast.ini file, but everything I report to this forum are my observations of using avast! on DEFAULT settings, as I changed nothing since install.

peterfu

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:16:50 PM »
Hi trejder,
Do You retrieve mails via POP ??
If Yes, have You set to leave messages on Server ??

If both Yes, then the behaviour is as it should be - Avast delets the message which is coming from the Server, but the message is still on Your server. The mail client never receives the message and is not able to inform the server that the message was downloaded. The next time You connect the message is handled like a new message and is retrieved again.

Theres no possibility to delete mails via POP commands - to delete messages also on Server automatically is only possible with IMAP or MAPI (in case You use Exchange and Outlook)

br
Peter
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 12:17:16 PM by peterfu »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:26:13 PM »
Use Silent mode for mail heuristics and use only tag message subject.
This way it wil mark all messages automatically,so you'll know which should be opened with care.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 12:26:51 PM »
What should I change for avast! to have possibility of deleting messages, he find suspicious?

What happens if you set the Heuristic module to 'Delete/Deny access'?
If you have only a 'message' that the true email was deleted, I think you can't automatic delete it. You will be able to set a rule into your email client with the emails with [avast - SUSPICIOUS] in the subject field  ;)
The best things in life are free.

trejder

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 02:11:27 PM »
What happens if you set the Heuristic module to 'Delete/Deny access'?
If you have only a 'message' that the true email was deleted, I think you can't automatic delete it. You will be able to set a rule into your email client with the emails with [avast - SUSPICIOUS] in the subject field  ;)

Same as in my other post. I think we are talking about two different problems. I don't need to mark suspicious e-mail by avast! as I know something about danger that cames from Internet and check every mail twice before I open it.

So therefore in my opinion there should not be a talk made how to help me in current situation, but about a bug (as I think) I found - that even clicking delete in proper message does NOT cause avast! to delete this message. Try to find if it happens in your or other users case and if it is really a bug or an occasional problem in my situation only. :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 02:22:23 PM »
Set Avast to run in silent mode. Looks to me that will solve your little problem.

but about a bug (as I think) I found - that even clicking delete in proper message does NOT cause avast! to delete this message.
Not a bug. Just a user who don't understand how things are working (no offense ment ofcourse) I will try to explain in simple words.

Avast works locally (eg on your system, not on the mail providers system). So Avast has nothing to do with mails staying on the server or not. Avast checks 'files' that come to your system. And only when they have arived, Avast can do something with them. What Avast does with them depends on the settings you as a user have selected in the configuration of Avast.

If you set Avast to run in silent mode, it will delete/move infected mails without a notice. If it will move or delete mails depends on the settings. What options you have for this depends on what version of Avast you are using. (home/pro)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 02:27:38 PM by Eddy »