Author Topic: I'm very angry with avast  (Read 30524 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I'm very angry with avast
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »
I never could get Windows Restore to work when I really needed it to.
I won't say never in my case, but, indeed a very rare episode of working. It always fails.
I was using the freeware Comodo Time Machine but it stop being developed and I need to drop it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline jacal

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »
Well, System Restore should be stable and reliable; I belive most of it's problems are AV-related. At the moment I'm on MSE and there are no problems, System Restore works.

YoKenny

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
Well, System Restore should be stable and reliable; I belive most of it's problems are AV-related. At the moment I'm on MSE and there are no problems, System Restore works.
How is this information usefull ???

I would never use MSE!

Offline jacal

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »

How is this information usefull ???

I would never use MSE!

I am a long-time avast user, forced to switch to another AV because of repeating problems with System Restore on my main PC (windows 7/64). At the moment I'm trying MSE, since it seemed to me most likely it shouldn't have problems with SR. And it works.

While waiting for the problem to be fixed, I'm still using free avast on an old netbook (with Syst. Restore disabled) and testing last beta version on a XP virtual machine (no problems with SR there).

That's all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
AGAIN... AVAST INSTALLATION GOT TOTALLY CORRUPT AFTER A CORRECT SYSTEM RESTORE.
NOW, OR SYSTEM RESTORE WORKS AND I NEED TO UNINSTALL AVAST AND INSTALL AGAIN, LOSING ALL MY SETTINGS, OR I CAN'T USE SYSTEM RESTORE.
TOO MUCH NEW APPLICATIONS AND FEATURES AND THE OLD AND GOOD ANTIVIRUS PROBLEMS AREN'T BEING SOLVED.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 10:53:49 PM »
It may seem weird, but I once got around the problem by initiating the system restore
as normal (in Windows XP) and as it rebooted pressed f8 and went into safemode.
Thus, system restore finished up in safemode and it completed OK. Once system restore
was complete (and successful), I rebooted to normal mode.

It seemed as if something during the startup (avast related) was interfering, rather than
something that was running when restore was initiated.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Dch48

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
My question is; why do you need to use System Restore so much in the first place? I virtually never use it. I think I've tried it three times in 6 years of XP and Win 7 use and I've never even installed any other kind of recovery software. I have it turned off on the XP machine now and it's space allocation is at 1% on this one. I also run a 512mb page file and have never been told it wasn't enough.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
SR is useful for people who like to tinker.
I often try some new software; if I hate it and it's not what I want, I immediately
uninstall, and for good measure, do a restore to the restore point I made before installing
said software.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

ady4um

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
"Ideally", avast should work correctly with System Restore. Why? Because SR is already there, and the bottom line is that users won't suspect that the problem is in how SR is working or is supposed to work. User will get to the conclusion (whether correct or not, doesn't matter) that anything else but SR is the culprit.

Moreover, whichever other problems or bugs are there in other software, or drivers, or in the system, users won't care: bad, bad Avast!  ;D

I personally never use SR, and maybe SR is the real problem (or something else), but that doesn't mean that avast should disregard it (which I'm not so sure they do, as the reporters here seem to believe); if not for something else, then for the simple reaction of users blaming avast.

A possible workaround could be disabling defense module, stop all shields, then disabling the driver and setting the service to stop (not to autorun, and not to run manually; just not to run at all). Then perform the action in SR (going back to a previous SR point). Once all is running, reset the driver and the service as they should and reboot again. Then review that the shields are working. Finally, update avast again (since the SR point may have left you with an older version).

But, if I were in the need to do all that, I would forget about avast, I would perform the SR action and once the system is working, I would simply repair avast and reboot again. The result probably would be the same in most cases.

"Ideally", it should work correctly with no additional actions. But we live in a real world, and our computers have many conflicts and bugs (and malware). Maybe Avast Software could do better, but let's not put *all* the culprit on avast alone, specially when other AV tools have similar issues.

Alievitan

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
Just to keep everything in perspective, the more a programs evolves (like antiviruses through updates) the more likely system restore will bonk the program.  In the past year, I used Avira before avast, and I can tell you system restore would corrupt that installation especially if the system restore point was older and there was a revision to the virus engine in between. 

In regards to Avast, I have successfully system restored many times but only with manual restore points less than a day old, so it can be done.  Three times just in the last month in fact, b/c I was switching out various network cards to diagnose a connection problem. 

It is unrealistic to expect all software installation to remain unscathed from system restore.  In general, it is a bad idea to use system restore for anything other than a very recent point.  In fact I have seen very well known and expertly written software like Google Chrome become corrupt from system restore. 

Really just uninstall the program, and reinstall Avast and move on.  The thread moving from legitimate vent, to something else all together. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »
My question is; why do you need to use System Restore so much in the first place?
Please, don't ask this... It's a Windows feature and I'm free to use it.
avast is not working or messing Windows system restore. It's not a problem of MS but avast.

Can you suggest any freeware that can replace it? I'm fighting behind CTM and seems we will see it again on March 2012.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 01:57:06 PM »
A possible workaround could be disabling defense module, stop all shields, then disabling the driver and setting the service to stop (not to autorun, and not to run manually; just not to run at all). Then perform the action in SR (going back to a previous SR point). Once all is running, reset the driver and the service as they should and reboot again. Then review that the shields are working. Finally, update avast again (since the SR point may have left you with an older version).
It does not work. The problem is on the repair action of avast and the state of the files.
Ideally, a repair should do this, repair.
Look at MS Office repair option. It works. Really.
avast does not get a correct state whatever you do (Control Panel repair, run full setup again, fix button) and you're saying the problem is on System Restore? ???
The avast GUI buttons do NOT repair, do not do their job.
I also run the full setup with the switch /forceinstall and it does NOT correct the situation.

But, if I were in the need to do all that, I would forget about avast, I would perform the SR action and once the system is working, I would simply repair avast and reboot again. The result probably would be the same in most cases.
Repair does NOT work.

But let's not put *all* the culprit on avast alone, specially when other AV tools have similar issues.
Ok, now I will start blaming MS.
Does anyone has a support email of MS? ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »
Does anyone has a support email of MS? ;D

Sure, but it's for support in German only. :P
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
I can tell you system restore would corrupt that installation especially if the system restore point was older and there was a revision to the virus engine in between.
Exactly.
What I'm asking is that the repair function does exactly what it promises to: repair.
Probably this is what happening, the virus definitions were updated in between. But would we blame that an antivirus update? No.

In regards to Avast, I have successfully system restored many times but only with manual restore points less than a day old, so it can be done.  Three times just in the last month in fact, b/c I was switching out various network cards to diagnose a connection problem. 
I was restoring a 1-day old restore point ::)

It is unrealistic to expect all software installation to remain unscathed from system restore.
Right now, avast is the only one with problems in my system.
Note, I have 199 applications according to Revo Uninstaller list.

Really just uninstall the program, and reinstall Avast and move on.  The thread moving from legitimate vent, to something else all together. 
The thread is about avast repair capacity.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Sure, but it's for support in German only. :P
It will be easier and faster I learn German than got Microsoft listening to me ;D