Author Topic: Timeout Issues  (Read 8434 times)

twelveways

Timeout Issues
« on: November 18, 2004, 11:44:32 AM »
I keep getting an 'Avast!: Connection timeout' message popping up on my pc with the option to continue waiting.

Could anyone explain this to me? Am I at risk?

Ive included a screenshot.

Thanx

twelveways

Re:Timeout Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:46:13 AM »
Im also getting an icon in the system tray that looks like a police light in front of some envelopes, Im guessing these are connected. I cant open anything with the icon and when I hover over it it displays an IP address as a tooltip

See screenshot.

Thanks

peterfu

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:53:29 AM »
Hi tewelveways,
this is a message from Avast, that the connection timer to retrieve a message via POP (port 110) timed out - this could have different reasons. If everything else worked fine it is most probaly a big mail that You want to retrieve, the internetconnection slowed down during a session or your POP server slowed down.
One option to solve this is to increase the time for connections.

For internet mail provider it's in the advanced tab of the configuration - set it to 300 seconds, if still no sucess try a higher value. Please configure Your E-Mail client with the same time value for server connections.

The tiny little icon is indicating that avast is scanning your e-mail and the ip adress shows the IP adress of the server you are connected.

br
Peter

twelveways

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:58:31 AM »
thanks for the quick reply, Ive made the changes so hopefully everything will be ok.

Cheers

peterfu

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:06:16 PM »
Hi 12,
hope so too - if not stay on the forum and repost - most probably you will get an answere in a very short time
br
Peter

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 12:10:35 PM »
On how to properly set your Mail Provider see my signature link. Also, you may wanna try to change server timeouts in your e-mail settings in your mail client... if you are using OE, see my attachment to see where you can do that.

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 12:34:20 PM »
Try to increase both timeouts (of avast into the Advanced tab of Internet Mail provider settings and of your email account, in Properties of the account, Advanced tab too). You can set both to 600, for instance. If you're on a DSL connection (not dial-up) it shouldn't be necessary a so long timeout anyway...

Do you use any spam killer?
Sometimes the spam killer enters in a 'loop' and consume all the timeout.
Shutdonw it and start it again.
The best things in life are free.

lydia38024

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 03:37:12 PM »
ok i'm having this same problem now....... and i'm not sure how to set the time thingy on incredimail......  does anyone here no how?

thanks in advance..
lydia

lydia38024

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 03:44:22 PM »
also.......  i'm not just getting 1 of these connecton time out thingys.......  i'm getting them hundereds at a time........  what could this mean??????  

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 03:48:00 PM »
You're hardly gonna get an answer here, because I'm not aware of many users using Incredimail in here (maybe I'm wrong). Why don't you try to ask on some Incredimail forums (if there are any out there). Probably, they know more about setting that client.

Also, open those properties or settings page in incredimail and go through all those options. It shouldn't be too difficult. If you find something like SERVER TIMEOUTS, you're back on track again...

Hope you'll solve your problem soon !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 03:48:22 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
also.......  i'm not just getting 1 of these connecton time out thingys.......  i'm getting them hundereds at a time........  what could this mean??????  

Similar problem is explained in here, although I'm not sure did they manage to solve it yet...

See here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8786;start=0

twelveways

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 03:44:33 AM »
Yeah I dont just get one, I get 6 or 7.....
I changed the settings in avast but  couldn't really tell if it made a difference as I had to go to work, I came home and it was still the same. Ive just changed it in my email client (OE) so I guess I wont know til tomorrow. Im still recieving my email though, so its not really a huge issue, just worried about it popping up while Im playing games or something. I'll let you know how it goes in the morning.

G'night all, thanks for the help.

twelveways

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 03:47:44 AM »
p.s

I dont use any antispam software, I use Windows firewall and avast, thats pretty much it. I did have a free trial of adaware which I used coz I inadvertantly downloaded a trojan but I dont have it anymore.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 04:00:29 AM »
I did have a free trial of adaware
Ad-Aware SE is free. ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 04:00:30 AM »
Twelveways - Having Ad-Aware SE (of course all definitions up to date) and Spybot installed on your system won't hurt you at all... it's very good to have them there. Best of all, they don't interfere with avast!

Cleaning your system of spyware and adware is very recommended, so you better go and install those applications again...

I'm sure when you install them, update those definitions, they will find tons of nasties in your system.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:01:20 AM by S.Z.Craftec »