Author Topic: Warning Message - open in virtual environment  (Read 5076 times)

eager to learn

Warning Message - open in virtual environment
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
Hi there,

The last 2 days when I boot up my PC running XP Pro and Home Avast I get the message to open avast in a virtual environment. I never got that message before.

Do I have to do something? Is there something wrong?

Avast updates throughout the day without a problem.

Also, is there a way to set my posts up so I get an e-mail when there has been a response to my post?

Thanks so much.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Warning Message - open in virtual environment
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Also, is there a way to set my posts up so I get an e-mail when there has been a response to my post?
have you seen the "notifie" button at the bottom....next to reply   ;)

The last 2 days when I boot up my PC running XP Pro and Home Avast I get the message to open avast in a virtual environment. I never got that message before.
can you attach a screenshot of the message ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:16:40 PM by Pondus »

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »

When you are about to post, there is an "additional options" to the left. One of those additional options is to receive notifications about the topic.

I think that's the default too (which can be changed in your profile settings), but I'm not sure.

eager to learn

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
Hi there,

I see now. There's "Additional Options" and you must click that and the drop down menu provides a box you can check to be notified of posts.

Hopefully, I've successfully attached a jpg of the screen shot of what I see when I boot up now.

Thank you.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
The last 2 days when I boot up my PC running XP Pro and Home Avast I get the message to open avast in a virtual environment.

What do you mean...??
Which avast..??
Which version..??
Which SP on XP..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »

Well, now with the screenshot, we can understand that it is NOT Avast starting in some virtual environment or alike.

According to that screenshot, there is some "winampa.exe" trying to run something (or the other way around if you want, "something" is trying to run winampa.exe). Avast is telling you that this "EXACT" and "specific" action is not a very common and expected one, so it offers you the chance to run it only inside the "virtual environment".

The site that is triggering this action is also in that screenshot.

eager to learn

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:41 AM »
OK, so what would be the best strategy when this box pops up at boot up? I'm accustomed to XP Pro booting into my icons screen. How do I rid my PC of this "winamp" application or whatever it is which must have loaded when I downloaded winamp.

Thanks.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »
Was this this something you tried to installed yourself? Are you sure you want and need this?

It seems like something is triggering the installation of "Winampa.exe" or some component of it. Like if the installation was not yet completed.

If you want to "undo" that, I guess you should check in your "Add / Remove Programs" list and select the specific program (winamp maybe ? ) so to uninstall it. Then reboot and test if the same behaviour still is repeated.

The best option would be to open a new topic in the "Viruses and Worms" subforum. I am NOT saying this is for sure some malware, so please don't panic. What I man is that people that usually help in that subforum probably are more capable of identifying the problem and they may request from you to run something so to give them some resulting log. With that specific info, they might be able to give you more specific instructions. You can post there a link to this same topic too.

Of, course you can try by yourself the list in "Add / Remove Programs", remove "Winamp" (or whichever the program is) if it is there and reboot.

In any case, please report back.