Author Topic: Will I be able to get version 6.0.1203 if I have problems with latest update.  (Read 7116 times)

Mac the Knife

I am at present using version 6.0.1203 as I had blue screen of death 3 times trying to install the next version. I want to try installing the latest version 6.0.1367 but am worried I may have the same problems as last time, therefore need to know if the one I am currently using is still available anywhere. Also, if I install the latest one, should I just do it by the updater on the program I have or should I completely uninstall it and download the new one as a fresh install. If I need to do a fresh install, will I be able to save the key I have for it, or will I need to get a new one. Sorry it's a bit long winded, but the last update gave me major problems that I never could resolve.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well, BSODs are generally due to incompatible software or bad uninstalled previous antivirus.
Can you give us a hint to troubleshoot?

It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
1. I want to try installing the latest version 6.0.1367 but am worried I may have the same problems as last time, therefore need to know if the one I am currently using is still available anywhere.
2. Also, if I install the latest one, should I just do it by the updater on the program I have or should I completely uninstall it and download the new one as a fresh install.

1. Yes..! :) http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
2. Use the update option in the program.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

@Mac the Knife,

About the license, if it is a paid product, you should have some backup of the license file before starting with the procedure that Tech posted above.

For the Free edition, you can get it again from the main GUI of Avast once it is working correctly for you.

About downloading old stable versions, for the Free product they are easily found in filehippo.com. I don't recall if that is also correct for Avast Pro and for AIS.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
About downloading old stable versions, for the Free product they are easily found in filehippo.com. I don't recall if that is also correct for Avast Pro and for AIS.

No, they only host the free version.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mac the Knife

Thanks for all your answers guys and will let you know how I get on. For Tech from Brazil, I posed a question with problems I had with the last version. I had uninstalled everything of Avast with the utility tool and did everything I could think of. I downloaded it fine, but every single time I restarted my pc it hit the BSOD and went into the normal options things, ie starting windows normally, safe mode etc. Have never ever had any problems updating the program until that one. Ended up doing a system restore. After doing this three times I gave up. I'm using windows xp with sunbelt kerio personal firewall and a netgear router. I had service pack 2 installed, although I had downloaded service pack 3 but was none to sure about installing it as one of the updates from some time ago stopped me using a certain torrent program, I have since installed service pack 3. Maybe that will sort the problem, I'll soon find out. Just didn't want to be left without an antivirus program. Am using the free version of Avast which I've always found great.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
I have since installed service pack 3. Maybe that will sort the problem, I'll soon find out.

Way to go. ;)

ady4um

After performing Avast program update, try deleting your firewall rules. Then reboot. If neessary, set your firewall in "learning mode" or equivalent. The point is that with the new program update, your firewall should learn again the new rules, even when the filenames (of the executable files of Avast) are the same as before (hence, deleting the old ones is the easiest way).

If that is not enough, please report back as there might be additional steps for your particular firewall.

Mac the Knife

Well updated from Avast program to latest version, Avast informed me it needed to reboot the system and gave me the choice of now or later, so choose now, unfortunately the same problem as before so did a system restore to the restore point I set just before updating. The good news is that the Avast I was using came back and is working fine still. Unsure whether anything should need altering in my firewall as it's never had a problem before with updates from Avast. There is obviously something that has been changed in the last two versions that, for whatever reason, my system can't handle. I thought perhaps that service pack 3 might sort it, but unfortunately not. Won't have time now for a little while to try anything else out, like perhaps disabling parts of the avast program to try and determine what the problem is, but will certainly try and do so at a later date. Thanks to you all.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Won't have time now for a little while to try anything else out, like perhaps disabling parts of the avast program to try and determine what the problem is, but will certainly try and do so at a later date. Thanks to you all.

You're welcome..!
Let us know, when you have time to continue.

ady4um

so did a system restore to the restore point I set just before updating.

First, Restore Points are not always a "clean" solution, and sometimes we discover the unwanted consequences after a while.

Second, if you had followed the suggestion and came back to report, I would have added some additional steps, as I told you I would. Now it's worthless.

Finally, a "clean" install (which is NOT the same as a simple uninstall - reinstall) may help you (but, to be clear, this was NOT my idea of additional steps I was thinking about).

Anyway, at least you have some version of Avast running, until the next program update.

Mac the Knife

Well, decided to do another update and set up the system to stop at the BSOD. Had a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message 0x000000D1 (0x80470ECC, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0xf1214c97), I rebooted again just to see what happens and had exactly the same error message except the last entry in the bracketed section was 0xf11bfc97. Other information on the screen mentioned disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. From this I assume it's a driver issue with my system and the new update. I made a restore point just before the update and have now gone back to the 6.0.1203 version of Avast. I will keep tinkering with things to see if I can get to the route of the problem. Still strange that it's just the last two versions of avast that have caused this.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Try this fix
1) http://www.wiki-errors.com/download.php

2) Install program and click Scan button.

3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.

4) Restart your computer.

Mac the Knife

Eureka! After scouring for a while on the internet it appears that a couple of years ago people were having a problem with Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall and Avast, although personally I have used this firewall for around five years with no problems whatsoever. Anyway, as the firewall will be obsolete come the end of December, I decided to get rid of it now and install Comodo Firewall which seems to come highly recommended on here, the upshot being that all is working fine. I put restore point in place before installing Comodo and another before updating Avast. Comodo asked for a reboot, so did that and not a problem, installed avast and decided to close after the update and give it a few seconds before rebooting and everything is now fine. Hopefully it will stay that way and if I get any further problems then I will let you all know, but many thanks to everyone for helping out.
Just a quick edit, when I said install avast, I did this by updating the program, not with a fresh install.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:49:57 PM by Mac the Knife »