Author Topic: 4.5 preventing email sending  (Read 6581 times)

Offline aa.avast

4.5 preventing email sending
« on: November 22, 2004, 05:08:41 AM »
Firewall: ZA (Free)
Outlook Express

Since allowing Avast to auto update from 4.1 to 4.5, a friend (using the above setup) has been able to receive, but unable to send emails.

He's uninstalled and re-installed 4.5, entered all the correct server/email details and run the Mail Protection Wizard, but the issue remains.

I'll try and post the exact error message if and as soon as I am able, but OE is apparently indicating that the server has rejected the email address and also mentions something about the SMTP server?  To the best of my knowledge (and as far as I can tell remotely) both these have been entered correctly.

He had no problems with Avast 4.1.  Please help!  Thanks in advance.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:4.5 preventing email sending
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 01:29:03 PM »
Since allowing Avast to auto update from 4.1 to 4.5, a friend (using the above setup) has been able to receive, but unable to send emails.He had no problems with Avast 4.1.  Please help!  Thanks in advance.

Are you using smtp authentication or not?
I mean, your ISP server is the same as your email account or, on contrary, one is the server your connect and another the email smtp server?
The best things in life are free.

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 04:47:13 PM »
Since allowing Avast to auto update from 4.1 to 4.5, a friend (using the above setup) has been able to receive, but unable to send emails.He had no problems with Avast 4.1.  Please help!  Thanks in advance.

Are you using smtp authentication or not?
I mean, your ISP server is the same as your email account or, on contrary, one is the server your connect and another the email smtp server?

Yes he is using SMTP authentication.  The ISP server is *not* the same as the email account.   The ISP is Telewest Blueyonder in the UK and the email service is GMX (Germany).  GMX SMTP authentication is used.   This was exactly the same setup he used with version 4.1.  

Offline aa.avast

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 09:04:40 PM »
Yes he is using SMTP authentication.  The ISP server is *not* the same as the email account.   The ISP is Telewest Blueyonder in the UK and the email service is GMX (Germany).  GMX SMTP authentication is used.   This was exactly the same setup he used with version 4.1.  

Some SMTP authentication found trouble in 4.5.
Anyway, Vlk will blame with me if I say that is anything related to avast. He's right, I must apologize, seems not an avast problem. But, in fact, I can't send emails with SMTP authentication yet.

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:47:57 AM »

Some SMTP authentication found trouble in 4.5.
Anyway, Vlk will blame with me if I say that is anything related to avast. He's right, I must apologize, seems not an avast problem. But, in fact, I can't send emails with SMTP authentication yet.

Hmm, I'm puzzled by what you say.  His setup worked perfectly well with Avast 4.1.  He's changed nothing in his setup except downloaded a newer version of Avast.  How can you say it's not an Avast problem?

I can't say yet if the latest beta is the answer to the problem.  If and when he gets the chance to try that, I'll post back here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 12:16:50 PM »
Hmm, I'm puzzled by what you say.  His setup worked perfectly well with Avast 4.1.  He's changed nothing in his setup except downloaded a newer version of Avast.  How can you say it's not an Avast problem?

Version 4.5 Beta has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. I just said that if you can not send smtp authenticated emails the problem won't be avast. Of course, avast 4.5 will change the settings automatically (from 4.1) but, if you have configurated your settings manually, you'll have to done them again manually.

Do I make myself clear?  :-[

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:58:08 PM »

Version 4.5 Beta has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. I just said that if you can not send smtp authenticated emails the problem won't be avast. Of course, avast 4.5 will change the settings automatically (from 4.1) but, if you have configurated your settings manually, you'll have to done them again manually.

Do I make myself clear?  :-[

You do!  Thanks very much.  :-)