Author Topic: Boot Loop and Battery usage  (Read 6586 times)

mrm1

Boot Loop and Battery usage
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
Yesterday I updated my old Theftaware to the new Avast version. From that moment, my phone never went in to sleep mode, causing the battery to drain by over 50% overnight. My normal usage is 2-3%. Which eventually caused my phone to shut down due to a low battery. When trying to restart the phone, the phone will almost finish starting up, but right at the last moment, the phone would freeze and restart, leaving only a few seconds to try and disable anything that was running. Eventually I managed to start Titanium Backup and uninstall the Avast version of Theft aware before the phone could reboot. I have now reinstalled the original version of theft aware from the market, and every thing is back to normal. No more reboots and the phone is going in to sleep mode as before.

My phone is a Galaxy SII. I also have root call blocker and green power installed and running at start up, but disabling these in the few seconds between reboots did not cure the problem, only the eventual removal of Avast Thetaware.

I just hope the final version of avast cures these problems.

reinhardholzner

Re: Boot Loop and Battery usage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
hello did you install avast! Mobile Security + avast! Anti-Theft, or only avast! Mobile Security, or only avast! Anti-Theft. We'll have to diagnose in which app the error occurs.

mrm1

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »
Hi, I installed Avast Mobile Security first, which then offered to install ant theft, which I did, this then in turn uninstalled the original theft aware as part of the process. When I started to experience problems I tried to disable auto update in mobile security, which was re enabled every time I went back in to settings. I thought this may be the reason the phone was kept awake as greenpower had effectively shut off the data connection for the night.

Later I checked if the phone was still being kept awake, so thought my next plan was to remove mobile security leaving anti theft installed.

This did not appear to make any difference so decided to reboot the phone.

This is where all hell broke out with the phone going in to a constant reboot cycle a few seconds after the home screen had loaded.

In the short breaks between boots, I manged to disable root call blocker, and green power with no luck, finally I managed to run titanium backup and uninstall anti theft. Only after this did the phone start to run correctly. I have since reinstalled the original Theftaware with no issues.

You can obviously understand I am a bit reluctant to try Ant theft again until I am sure everything is stable.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
hi we can not reproduce the problem. can you do a log of the situation using ADB?

IgLo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »
I also had similar problem. I have rooted Alcatel OneTouch 990 with Android 2.2. I installed avast! Mobile Security, and Anti Theft when it was offered in installation process. I installed Anti Theft as system application and all went just fine. I sent few messages from other phone to test it's functionality and all went fine until I sent XXXXXX LOCATE message. After that message phone rebooted(as explained in this post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89621.0). After trying few times, I sent XXXXXX LOCATE 5 and phone went to boot loop. I tried to send XXXXXX LOCATE STOP and XXXXXX SET PROTECTION 0 message to disable Anti Theft, but phone always rebooted before it received SMS message. I read post from mrm1, but unfortunately I didn't have Titanium Backup on my phone. Finally, i removed SMS card and SD card from phone and turned it on. This way i could get some extra time before rebooting - actually there was no reboot at all, some applications that are on SD card didn't start on boot, and I manage to start Anti Theft basic setup and to disable it, and finally uninstalled it. It would be wary nice if you can fix this problem, my opinion is that this application is best protection application you can find around, but with this problem.... it is useless for me. If you need list of applications I have on my phone please tell me, I'll post it here, there could be some conflict.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
for those issues, we always need ADB log of the situation (from start until phone reboots).

see here: http://forum.avast.com/offline/forum.theftaware.com/viewtopic4b58.html