Author Topic: BSoD caused by aswsp.sys  (Read 7758 times)

Olleycat

BSoD caused by aswsp.sys
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
Can you help please. I use Avast Free Anti virus on a Win Xp SP 3 set up and the last two mornings when I turned my computer on I got the dreaded BSoD

I ran a program called WhoCrashed and the following two reports [copied below] showed up. This happened once before a few months back. As you can see it says the first one was caused by aswsp.sys tho today's crash seems to be by atapi.sys I need to work out which one is the problem.  I have not installed anything new on my PC recently apart from Avast updates..

Also please if you need me to upload something as I've seen asked in other posts about this problem ..ie something called memory dump I think, please tell me where to find it . .

thanks

On Wed 14/12/2011 08:41:03 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x21D44)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xC, 0x5, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFFF74A05F7)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! self protection module
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys (avast! self protection module, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsp.sys AVAST Software CUSTOM_ERROR

On Thu 15/12/2011 09:16:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121511-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0x5D23)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x6900D3, 0x5, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFF749DD23)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atapi.sys .
Google query: atapi.sys CUSTOM_ERROR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BSoD caused by aswsp.sys
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
The major piece of information missing is what version of avast are you using, the latest version is 6.0.1367 ?

If you haven't got that version you should use the program update from within the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Olleycat

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
oops sorry brain melt moment. .  :-[

am using the up to date version ie 6.0.1367

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
OK, best to upload the dump files for analysis.

If you only have the minidump file/s and not the full memory (kernel) memory.dmp file then you could perhaps send them directly to pk (an avast developer) kurtin (at) avast (dot) com. Otherwise upload to avast:
~~~~
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse me if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Olleycat

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
ok thanks I'll do that  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:19:07 PM »
You're welcome.

Olleycat

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »
well seems neither file is on my PC. .I've been running all sorts of cleaners and am presently running malwarebytes which has detected 1 infected file so far tho is still scanning so I can't see what it is and if it is the cause.

as for the memory dumps if the scans I have run and am running still don't help and it blue screens on me again next time I boot up I'll pick up the memory dump file before cleaning everything up ..  :-X

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
OK, most cleaners (like ccleaner) clear temp files and many also clear dump files.

Olleycat

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
that's what I ran . .will make sure I save the file next time I get the blue screen.. ;)

I've run just about everything I have to clean the PC. ..did a restart and both my DVD drives disappeared. . restarted again and they came back. .  was sorta hoping to get another blue screen to get a memory dump file, but also hoping I didn't too.. managed to open my Outlook and Ff without one this time.. who knows what the morning will bring  :'(

think the machine is just getting on and is a bit crabby like its owner . .shame I don't have the money to get a new one :( > .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Wouldn't we all like a new PC, mine is now almost three and a half years old, boy does time fly. But it is still going strong and will probably be another year before I get a new one or build one again.

Olleycat

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
blimey yours is brand new compared to mine :D

it's well over 6 yrs old and struggling a lot now..  :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
Some might suggest, back up everything, and start from square one again and get rid of a lot of detritus.

Format install XP with SP3 and reinstall essential applications. You would certainly need to get all your ducks in a row before starting XP Disk with SP3, Avast and any other security software, and saved to backup so they can be installed before having to go on-line, etc. etc.

This might interest you if considering this, http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/building-your-own-xp-service-pack-4/#story1.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
blimey yours is brand new compared to mine :D

it's well over 6 yrs old and struggling a lot now..  :o
Looks like you are British. ;)

This may help:
How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

My XP Pro system is 6 years old and my new wonderful Windows 7 system is only 2 years old.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:48:45 AM »
Invoking a memory dump is a waste of time if there isn't an error condition, e.g. the one that would have cause a BSOD.

Olleycat

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
Some might suggest, back up everything, and start from square one again and get rid of a lot of detritus.

Format install XP with SP3 and reinstall essential applications. You would certainly need to get all your ducks in a row before starting XP Disk with SP3, Avast and any other security software, and saved to backup so they can be installed before having to go on-line, etc. etc.

This might interest you if considering this, http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/building-your-own-xp-service-pack-4/#story1.
yes thanks.. I have thought it needs a format and fresh install. .friend gave me their old tower with a fresh XP installation on it which is slightly younger than mine just not got around to moving everything over. .looks like the BSoD is telling me to get a wiggle on and do something about it.. :D

So far it's not dies on me today ..but after all my clearing up yesterday I did a shut down and reboot and lost both my DVD drives. .they came back after a second reboot tho..  which kinda fits in with the second blue screen error caused by the atapi.sys file which googling tells me may be linked to optical drives. .the first blue screen was caused by the avast file. . whatever caused it it is definitely saying I need a overhaul.. I hate redoing everything but have backed up most of my stuff bar a few programmes.. just have to get into redo a puter frame of mind now.. :(

and yes YoKenny I am British.. dunno if that caused the Blue Screen tho.. :p