Author Topic: [Solved] Avast anti theft not working as expected  (Read 7751 times)

The_ChamP

[Solved] Avast anti theft not working as expected
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
I have samsung galaxy s2 [rooted] with cutom rom - checkrom revohd v4
i was trying to change the theme and ended up in bootloop so i installed dis custom rom on top of the existing rom without and wipe and then when i opened avast and then anti theft it downloaded the anti theft application again , shouldnt the anti theft have survived that ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:32:38 PM by The_ChamP »

TheUntouchable

Re: Avast anti theft not working as expected
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »
No, there is no possibility to survive an rom flash. This erases the system partition where theft aware is stored. Nothing will survive this ;)

The_ChamP

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
SO instead of wipe , re installing a rom is more dangerous for anti theft ?  :o

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »
It's like formatting a hard-drive properly. Nothing will remain.

The_ChamP

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
how its like formatting a hard drive ? when i reinstalled checkrom all my other apps were still there they didnt get deleted

if i wipe everything in the system partition gets deleted right ? and anti theft is supposed to survive that , than why not a rom reflash ?

TheUntouchable

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
If you make a so called "super wipe" system partition is also wiped and NOTHING will remain.

If you install a new rom, only the system partition is changed. Theft Aware is stored on the system partition to survive a factory reset which is triggered out of android.

So flashing a new rom and doing a super wipe is the same.

svehlak

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Hi The_Champ, which bootloader do you use? Do you have any compatibile ROM manager, like Clockwork? What I undesrtood is, that you just updated your check ROM by Checkrom RevoHD custom ROM; this custom ROM is based is stock ROM, so is possible that your apps are still there. Please provide your root method and update method, thank you.

The_ChamP

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
I just rebooted my cell and avast didnt start automatically [ the avast notification icon was not showing in the status bar to be precise ] this is the first time it happened , will keep an eye in the future when i restart my phone

@TheUntouchable - what do u mean be factory reset triggered out of android ?

@svehlak - i am using this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240 and it uses a custom version of CWM
i had rooted a long back using chainfire method
and let me explain once again what had happened - i was on checkrom v4 , i was trying to install a new theme from its kitchen app but i got stuck in a boot loop so i went in CWM recovery and installed checkrom v4 again

TheUntouchable

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
You can go inside of android to (translated from german) Options->SD Card & Phonememory and choose factory reset ;)

The_ChamP

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
Ok thanx for clarifiaction , so anti theft will survive factory reset but not wipe option in CWM ? right ?

TheUntouchable

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »
Yes thats right :)

The_ChamP

Re: [Solved] Avast anti theft not working as expected
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
thanx..i think that solves my queries