Author Topic: Please tell me that I can turn off that email checking icon on the system tray!  (Read 2859 times)

Nax

I'm going crazy with that thing. I just installed Avast 4.5 Home Edition and it looks ok so far although I had kept a file that NAV found that it contained a virus (or worm, I don't remember which one) but Avast is not flagging it.

Anyhow, back to the problem...

Instead of the eimail scanning icon popping up when there is a message coming in to show that it is being scanned, it looks like the icon is popping up with every check to the email servers!

I have 5 accounts on 5 different email servers checking email every 1 to 3 minutes and it's driving me nuts! I can't find a way to turn it off and looked in this forum for a bit but did not find anything. Please tell me it's possible and how to do it.

And since we're taling about icons, there are so man programs now that give the user a choice to just have a systray icon and minimize and close down to that systray icon without having a button on the task bar.  For a program like this that is constantly running I don't see why there must be a button on the task bar when Avast is scanning files.

Anyhow, please let me know how to turn off that eimail checking icon thing. I will have to uninstall the program if I can't.

Thank you very much for your help.

Starfighter

You can... Double click on the blue ball... menu pops up.. make sure "details" is selected... then click "customize".. then do as picture:

Nax

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I was going through the help file and just found the ShowTrayIcon setting for the .ini file and wondering how exactly to type it when I saw your reply.

Those settings are very well hidden in there... anyhow... I did uncheck the option, the icon keeps on popping up  so probably the program needs a restart to read the new setting.

Thanks again.. it was driving me crazy...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Nax,
I suggest you take some time to read the help/manual on Avast and make yourself familiar with the options Avast provides.