Author Topic: Avast in a funny language  (Read 3579 times)

tomvdp

Avast in a funny language
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
Windows 7 professional, English edition.
Installed Avast in English.

Some Avast screens & popups appear in French.  You are probably looking at my IP address to guess my language.  Bad choice: 1) I prefer English; 2) the majority of Belgians do not speak French.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast in a funny language
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
I think it's based on you locale set in Control Panel -- e.g. I have EN windows, EN avast version, but popups are in CZ language ::)
I don't know details, but there was a reason for that... one of my family friend installed CZ avast, but re-registration dialog for avast! Free version was in EN language, huh; what a pity he doesn't speak EN...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
...one of my family friend installed CZ avast, but re-registration dialog for avast! Free version was in EN language, huh; what a pity he doesn't speak EN...

;D
So, I guess the question is, will this be changed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »
I don't understand why avast mixes the languages.

If I use avast in English, then I want all pup ups and GUI in English, no matter where I am or the language of my OS.

The only valid reason for avast to take into account any other language is for specific area offers or specific area support. Only for those matters, avast could potentially consider my OS settings (or my IP), so to offer some upgrade in my currency or according to my location for example (and even then, some users won't like it either).

Ideally, if I live, say, in Japan but my avast GUI is in English, then avast could offer me to upgrade using Japan's currency (or offer me free phone suppert for Japan, just as an example), while the pup ups and information should still be presented in English (as my avast GUI).

My area code, my OS's language and Avast's language are not necessarily the same as Avast's Developers (and marketting guys) are assuming.

Avast Software, please follow what the users are setting in Avast GUI, without assumptions or mix ups.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »
My area code, my OS's language and Avast's language are not necessarily the same as Avast's Developers (and marketting guys) are assuming.

Avast Software, please follow what the users are setting in Avast GUI, without assumptions or mix ups.
+1
But I'm not sure all the language translations are already done.
Maybe 8-10 principal ones only.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
But I'm not sure all the language translations are already done.
Maybe 8-10 principal ones only.

It doesn't matter. Say for example that I currently use Avast in English because my language is not included in the available translations of avast. Then we could assume that I at least understand enough English so to use avast GUI. That should be enough, so ALL the pop ups should be displayed in English.

If avast's GUI is in French, then use that for pop ups.

If I live in USA, but avast is in French, then maybe Avast Software wants to send some pop up about an offer for USA-based users. If there is an offer and avast "reads" my location according to Control Panel, or according to my IP address, then please, send me the offer, but in French, as my avast's GUI.

The offer itself has no French Translation? Then Avast Software needs to choose. Either send it anyway in English (since the location is USA) or don't send it to such a user.

If the location is some other country where English is not the natural language, and the adequate (avast's GUI) translation is not available, then send it in English (since the default language for avast is English), or don't send it.

Here is the "catch", specially for that last case. Whatever Avast Software decides to do with the pop ups (to show them or not), the "location" (in Control Panel or according to IP) is NOT the parameter to look into for the LANGUAGE of the notification / pop up.

The "location" might be a valid parameter for other things (like selecting whether the user should receive the offer or not). You might try to combine it with the default currency set in Control Panel as an alternative/addition, or maybe not. But the *language* of the message itself should be based on the language of avast GUI whenever possible. Only in cases where the message has no adequate translation, *then* an alternative such as location, or the language of the OS, or English as default, could take place.

Currently, the "location" setting influences ALSO the language of some of the pop ups, and that is not what the user wants / needs.

jpmalfatti

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
Well, my AVAST POPUPS don't show any funny language but the language of the country which I visit or the in-transit airport lounges in which I change planes, instead. I live in Canada and both my OS and AVAST software are in English, which is my first language, and, as I often travel on business, I usually stay in different foreign countries, at least, a couple of weeks. In my opinion, the POPUPS and Security Reports should read in the language of the installed software, and not in the one of the country or the region from which you connect yourself to Internet. How do you like this?