Author Topic: How hard to ACTUALLY hack into my desktop???  (Read 4164 times)

How hard to ACTUALLY hack into my desktop???
« on: December 26, 2011, 04:26:28 AM »
I wanted to get some opinions on just how hard it would be to ACTUALLY get into my system?? For instance if I took a picture only known to me and placed that single picture in the default location on my windows 7 computer how hard would it actually be for a hacker to ACTUALLY get into my system by getting past all security software and hardware and get that picture then prove it to me by showing it to me?

So if ALL my windows updates were current and my avast internet security firewall was set to public/high risk and my malwarebytes antimalware pro/real time protection was on and all 3rd party software was up to date and I was behind a hardware firewall/router with the most current firmware from the manufacturer and the hacker has NO idea what I am running and all he is given is my ACTUAL ip address could they easily get that picture with out me knowing about it until they actually had it.

I hope that all made sense!!

Once giving the ACTUAL ip address they only had 24 hours to retrieve the picture!!

What say you?? 

Gargamel360

Re: How hard to ACTUALLY hack into my desktop???
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:36:05 AM »
I don't think there is any real way to measure this.  Too many variables.  For example, number of current unpatched vulnerabilities would play into it.

Honestly, against the type of scenario you seem to be envisioning, you have the best defense, that is a router w/FW.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »
The question is not how hard, it's more like "why" ? Why would anyone take all the problems just to steal a worthless data. Lets face it, family pics are rather worthless to 3rd person.
As i see it, it's not worth hacking directly into personal computers. Bots and password stealers, a more generic approach is used for the masses. If anyone goes into the trouble of hacking something directly i'd say it can only be targeted websites, corporations etc...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
The question is not how hard, it's more like "why" ? Why would anyone take all the problems just to steal a worthless data. Lets face it, family pics are rather worthless to 3rd person.
As i see it, it's not worth hacking directly into personal computers. Bots and password stealers, a more generic approach is used for the masses. If anyone goes into the trouble of hacking something directly i'd say it can only be targeted websites, corporations etc...

Ok fair enough, how about I replace the useless data/picture with a credit card number stored in my documents with a 25,000 limit on it.Hypothetically speaking of course.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:13:00 AM by 1010101010101010101010101 »

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »
Honestly,it would be really easy,if you are infected by a RAT/Backdoor.
Even if they know your IP,they can't "hack" your system,but they can "flood" your internet connection,using multiple shells.They may be able to turn off/restart your computer whenever they want to,using windows shutdowner.Typically it's hard to do it from long distance,but they can use "Zombie computers" to do it,only if they are near your location.
Why would they "hack" your system,it takes a great deal of time and effort.
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
If you only wanted protection for 24 hours, pull out the plug. Seriously with all protection enabled, the only thing to be concerned about is to be sure you're using https sites for confidential transactions. Now to increase paranoia, worry about the secure party being hacked (Bank, Store, etc.)
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.