Author Topic: 6.0.1367 - after update, webshield causes browser hang on browser open  (Read 3485 times)

badzen

Hi,
After installing avast free 6.0.1367 on a computer with win xp and the next day updating on a comp with vista, webshield prevents websites from opening - browser hangs on open, can't open any other websites. Both comps have zone alarm installed.

When I disable webshield, browsing is fine.

I have tried checking "scan traffic from well-known browser process only" under webshield settings. I have checked zone alarm settings and it looks like avast is allowed internet access OK.

Any suggestions?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: 6.0.1367 - after update, webshield causes browser hang on browser open
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:22 AM »
Try deleting all the avast processes from within ZA then reboot, re connect to internet and start your browser, this should force ZA to re'ask for permissions on avast which you should set to allow all.

badzen

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
OK, so even though Zone Alarm was showing three avast processes with the correct version as OK to access internet etc deleting them from zone alarm and rebooting worked - but only with the win xp comp.

I then notice that zone alarm versions are different - the xp comp has a slightly higher version, but the vista comp zone alarm update tells me that zone alarm is up-to-date - so I'm going to try uninstalling zone alarm and either reinstalling it or getting another firewall for vista.

By the way I checked the reg settings noted in some other fixes for this problem (i.e. that temp folders exist and match reg settings).

I'll come back here if the vista comp still doesn't work with either another firewall or update to zone alarm...otherwise, thanks for the tip.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
Outpost security suite free with only the firewall enabled, Online armor, comodo or privatefirewall would be better choices for free firewalls imo.

Latest zone alarm 10.1.079.000 is here http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:29:45 AM by craigb »

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
In Vista, open the advanced firewall settings and delete the firewall rules related to avast, even if the firewall is not enabled.

In addition, for Vista you should check for Windows Updates (specially SP1 AND SP2) and the validation / activation of the OS.

Please report back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
OK, so even though Zone Alarm was showing three avast processes with the correct version as OK to access internet etc deleting them from zone alarm and rebooting worked - but only with the win xp comp.
<snip>

ZA has form for this digital amnesia, blocking applications that are listed as allowed in the program control. This is why we always recommend deletion of the entries so that they are recreated again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
ZA has form for this digital amnesia, blocking applications that are listed as allowed in the program control. This is why we always recommend deletion of the entries so that they are recreated again.
+1
The best things in life are free.