Author Topic: Uninstalling Avast! Mobile Security for security  (Read 12757 times)

Bob.

Uninstalling Avast! Mobile Security for security
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:24:56 AM »
Hello. I've not installed AMS as of yet because I am looking for the security app that I feel provides me with the most comprehensive security available. I also don't care for the 'suite' of programs. I already have apps that perform the additional functions Avast offers. What I need is the Theft Aware aspect of the app only.

I have read that one can uninstall Avast Mobile Security and that the Theft Aware component remains.

Assuming the above is true, Questions:

1. Does the 'Theft Aware' component then hide itself completely (desirable)?
2. If so, how does one then access the 'Theft Aware' settings?
3. And how does one know that 'Theft Aware' is running?
4. And then, how then does one later uninstall the T.A. component should one wish to do so.?

And on a different note, I was required to check the "I Agree" box above the register button when I created this account. What was I agreeing to? My password? My username? Since there was no accompanying text explaining what I was mandatorily agreeing to, I have to wonder if I've just signed my life away?

Thanks,
Bob.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:34:25 AM by Bob. »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Uninstalling Avast! Mobile Security for security
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »
1. Does the 'Theft Aware' component then hide itself completely (desirable)?
Yes.

2. If so, how does one then access the 'Theft Aware' settings?
Make a call to your PIN (password).

3. And how does one know that 'Theft Aware' is running?
The disguised application name will be shown in the processes.

4. And then, how then does one later uninstall the T.A. component should one wish to do so.?
Disable device admin.
Uninstall the disguised app.

And on a different note, I was required to check the "I Agree" box above the register button when I created this account. What was I agreeing to? My password? My username? Since there was no accompanying text explaining what I was mandatorily agreeing to, I have to wonder if I've just signed my life away?
Forum and privacy policies.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
Hello,

you can keep and use avast! Anti-Theft as you described.

>1. Does the 'Theft Aware' component then hide itself completely (desirable)?
it does!
>2. If so, how does one then access the 'Theft Aware' settings?
by dialing the access code like a phone number
>3. And how does one know that 'Theft Aware' is running?
dial your accesscode - if it opens it's running. although you dont need to test it - it is very reliable.
>4. And then, how then does one later uninstall the T.A. component should one wish to do so.?
to uninstall avast! Anti Theft please open your phone's app manager and uninstall the app with the custom name you chose on installing avast! Anti Theft.
If the uninstall fails please remove the app from the device administrators list (you can find it in your phone's settings)

Regards,

Werner Wilson

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
Good news: in the next official update Mobile Security will contain an uninstall wizard for Anti-Theft which is also able to uninstall rooted installations (of course password protected).

Bob.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
Thank you for your responses. This definitely appears to be what I'm hoping for. I will try it. Again for your remarks thank you.

zippyioa

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
Werner,

I am trying to uninstall Avast Anti Theft and have followed the instructions you posted above. Unfortunately when I go to the Android application manager, the Avast anti theft program only shows "cancel" where it should show uninstall.

Please help! :)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »
If the uninstall fails please remove the app from the device administrators list (you can find it in your phone's settings)

zippyioa

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »

That doesn't remove it though, I wanted to get rid of it completely, not just remove it's privileges

svehlak

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:21:09 AM »
Do not understand - how you can "rid of" the apps without changing its privileges? Did you use rooted installation?

zippyioa

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:05 AM »
Do not understand - how you can "rid of" the apps without changing its privileges? Did you use rooted installation?

Hi Jan,

Yes, I used the rooted installation. Does that mean I need to do something else?

When I decided that the anti theft, and main program were not for me, I wanted to remove both completely.
I uninstalled the main avast program from the Android manage applications list, but when I tried to do the same with the anti theft add on, it didn't have an uninstall button.
I unticked it in the device administrator list, but still couldn't uninstall it in the manage applications list.

I hope you can help me to remove it?

zippyioa

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:14 AM »
OK, following all of these steps worked for me (including Titanium Backup)

How to uninstall avast! Free Mobile Security?

To completely remove avast! Free Mobile Security from your phone, you have to deactivate avast! Anti-Theft at first:

1. Open 'avast! Mobile' from All Apps screen in your Android phone.

2. Select the option 'Anti-Theft', then 'Set up basic settings'.

3. Now ensure that 'Enable Anti-Theft' option is not checked, otherwise clear the checkbox on the right side to deactivate 'avast! Anti-Theft'.

4. Exit the 'avast! Free Mobile Security' user interface.

Once avast! Anti-Theft has been deactivated you can proceed with avast! Anti-Theft and avast! Free Mobile Security uninstallation:

1. Open 'Settings' from All Apps screen in your Android phone.

2. Select the option 'Applications', then 'Manage Applications'.

3. Select the option with disguise-name (custom application name) you chose for avast! Anti-Theft during the installation process.

4. On the next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm uninstallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.

5. Once the uninstallation of avast! Anti-Theft is complete select 'OK' to get back to Manage Applications screen.

6. Select the option 'avast! Mobile Security'.

7. On te next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm unistallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.

8. Once the uninstallation of avast! Free Mobile Security is complete select 'OK' to get back to Manage Applications screen.

Note: These steps can differ slightly depending on your phone type, used operating system version and its vendor customizations.

What can I do if the uninstallation of avast! Anti-Theft doesn't work?

If the uninstallation of avast! Anti-Theft doesn’t work you probably set it as device admin in your phone settings during the configuration. To disable device admin settings for avast! Anti-Theft follow these steps:

1. Open 'avast! Mobile' from All Apps screen in your Android phone.

2. Select the option 'Anti-Theft', then 'Set up advanced settings', then 'Lock text, GPS Wipe' and afterwards 'Device admin' at the bottom of the screen.

3. Now ensure that option with disguise-name (custom application name) you chose for avast! Anti-Theft during the installation is not enabled, otherwise clear the checkbox on the right side to deactivate device admin for 'avast! Anti-Theft'.

4. Exit the 'avast! Free Mobile Security' user interface.

Note: To remove a root installation of avast! Anti-Theft you can use free tool called Titanium Backup which is also alailable on Android Market. You were offered to choose Root installation mode (which requires your phone to be rooted) during the setup process, or continue a normal installation.