Author Topic: Avast says SAS is infected with 14 threats?  (Read 4464 times)

kkatie

Avast says SAS is infected with 14 threats?
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
So yesterday I visited a site (Brothersoft) that I later found out was unsafe. Avast web rep had good ratings for it so I thought it would be okay. After realising it was unsafe, I scanned with Avast, and found 4 infections. I believe 2 were in SAS and two were in Google Desktop.

So after trying boot scans and such, I failed to get rid of these infections. I decided to reinstall Windows this morning, and started over with a brand new bill of computer health.

So then I set about re-downloading and installing all my old protection, which included SAS obviously. After downloading SAS, I decided to scan with Avast. When it finished, lo and behold there were 14 infections!

They are all things along the lines of:
Process 2916 [superantispyware.exe], memory block 0x000000000[a bunch of numbers], block size [a bunch of numbers]

Severity: High

Their names are things like:
Win32:Renos-RS [Drp]
Win32:Carberp-FN [Trj]
INF:AutoRun-AX [Wrm]
Win32:Kobcka-M [Trj]

and several others like that.
They don't sound like false positives to me. I downloaded SAS from techspot.com after the official site directed me there. I'm really worried about this! What should I do can anyone please help?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast says SAS is infected with 14 threats?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
Process 2916 [superantispyware.exe], memory block 0x000000000[a bunch of numbers], block size [a bunch of numbers]
was this a custom scan ?
did you select "scan memory"

kkatie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
was this a custom scan ?
did you select "scan memory"

yes and yes.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »
what you are detecting is superantispyware signatures loaded in memory.....
this is also why the apply button is gray....you cant move a process to chest.....it is not a file
very common when you have other security programs installed and using the "scan memory" setting.....the forum is full of these cases if you search

so do not play with the scan settings if you do not know the result of doing it.......so could have saved you a reinstall   ;)
DO NOT use the "scan memory" setting, but use the default quick/full scan with default settings

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:28:33 PM by Pondus »

kkatie

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
Oh, thank you SO much! I don't mind reinstalling that much, it's nice to clear everything out once in a while anyway, it's almost quite a hobby of mine.

I'm sorry, I did try searching but I couldn't find anyone with the same problem and I was a bit flustered about it all. I made a custom scan just because I heard that the "Full system" scan isn't that full at all, and that it doesn't scan a lot of things. :s But thanks! I won't scan Memory anymore, thanks so much :3

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
I made a custom scan just because I heard that the "Full system" scan isn't that full at all, and that it doesn't scan a lot of things. :s
That is bc there is lots of things not necessary to scan.....

a quick scan a week is plenty....if something is detected then you can do a full
and avast will tell you when to do a boot scan....the boot scan you use when/if avast have problems removing a bug

and if you search the forum for  "scan memory"  /  "memory scan"  /  "detection in memory"   you should find lost of old cases

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:40:38 PM by Pondus »

kkatie

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
Oh I see! I'll remember that. I'm one of these really paranoid people who scans every day. I do a boot scan pretty regularly just to put my mind at ease. Thanks for helping me ^^

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
Oh I see! I'll remember that. I'm one of these really paranoid people who scans every day. I do a boot scan pretty regularly just to put my mind at ease. Thanks for helping me ^^
The file shield is running in the background 24/7 scanning every file that moves in the computer when you use it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »

- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »
or you can activate the screen saver scan......then it will scan every time you turn your back to it.....should be good for the paranoid   ;D
if when stopped....it will start at the same place again...unless there has been a reboot

kkatie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
Oh, I forgot there was a screensaver scan! I'll be using that in future. The File shield has helped me out many times in the past. A few months ago, despite being very careful, I got a very bad trojan and from then on I don't trust anything, haha. I just assume my PC is infected all the time even though I'm really safe about surfing the web. >.< Thanks for the reassurance, I appreciate it ;D