Author Topic: some files could not be scanned.  (Read 16502 times)

indomitable

some files could not be scanned.
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
well yesterday i got the lovely false positive with steam, and this morning i turn on my monitor to find an avast pop up saying "some files could not be scanned."

i open the little window to find the following information:

c:\users\<my name>\appdata\roaming\nvidia\glcache\ce1a0741ea5f3c2f820ae018fa5d47c3\50dddcfccb3dc688\400234d492694813.bin

error: the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)

ive never had a problem with avast before, i havent changed anything relating to nvidia... im really not sure what to make of this.

i dont like false positives and i dont like files that cannot be scanned while i dream, secure in the knowledge that avast is doing its nightly work keeping my computer safe.

any hints? ive been an avast convert for a couple years now (from avg) and all of this nonsense the last couple days is making me nervous.

tell me this is nothing and avast will go right back to quietly scanning for viruses i never get soon!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
Re: some files could not be scanned.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
it just means the file is in use....so can not be scanned
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected

seem to be part of nvidia

indomitable

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »
thank you for the reply!

i assumed it had something to do with nvidia, but i wasnt clear on WHY i got the message in the first place. i leave my computer in the same state every night, closing all windows except trillian, and turn off the monitor.

ive never got this sort of message before, and i cant help but wonder if its related to yesterdays false positive fiasco... or if i actually DO have a virus hanging out in my nvidia files somewhere.

very strange. i really hope tomorrow doesnt bring more strange avast pop ups to confuse and enervate me.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
as i said, it does not mean it is infected.....just a scan error warning

also you can try a restart and a new scan.....maybe the file is not in use then ?

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Maybe reboot, so maybe the specific file will not be "in use" after the reboot.

indomitable

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
thank you, ill reboot, and try a reboot tonight just before bed, see if i get anything overnight.

nothings acting funny, so im not going to stress too much unless i see something else odd tomorrow morning.

thank you for all the quick replies, i really appreciate it.

Bunter

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
I had this problem too.  I had had my address book attacked so I needed to be sure all was OK.  There were 6 files.

•   take a screen shot of the Avast report save it as a .txt file and print it
•   Re-boot and open just Explorer and hunt for the files. 
•   Note of the location and shut down Explorer
•   Open up the Avast interface
•   Click on Scan Computer/Select folder to Scan/Start
•   find the individual files from the pop up file manager
•   tick the file’s box
•   scan

The scan takes seconds only.  They all passed muster.

jdpowers4

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
The rule to follow is when in doubt, do a Boot-time Scan or run a scan in safe mode. Errors will occur daily with files in use or that are temporary. Some of the common files are .pst (email) and update packages (virus definitions). However, there are others, but the first thing you want to do is an internet search for the file and its purpose. Second, once you know what program uses it, shut it down and scan the file. If there is still a problem, get off the internet until you confirm your system is secure.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »
The same issue happened to me.
Path:  C:|Program Files\AVAST Software\Avastdefs\13062904_stream_stream\pkg1306290400000010.bin

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
The same issue happened to me.
Path:  C:|Program Files\AVAST Software\Avastdefs\13062904_stream_stream\pkg1306290400000010.bin
you dont say....but i guess the message from avast was... could not find the file?
this seems to be the usuall clean up in avast signature folder

reboot and scan again.... still get that message?