Author Topic: My Documents attachment  (Read 3647 times)

paulmars

My Documents attachment
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:38:35 PM »

One of the people that I forwarded an e mail to just called and told me that his "My Documents" folder and all files in it was included as an attachment to that incoming e mail that I forwarded to him. It had no attachment when I sent it. So, his personal files where attached and he is quite upset, and so am I. My AV with current defs found no virus, Spybot found no spyware.

He uses Juno web mail. He thinks it came from me. I need to clear myself. Any ideas about this?

Paul

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:My Documents attachment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »
Does it happen again of you forward the same mail?

Since it is his folder that is attached (and I take it that you don't have access to his system), it sure looks like he has a problem and not you.

How is his security setup?
Is his system 100% free from any malware?
Does he have his settings correct?
Does he has other problems with his system? (even small ones can give an indication)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 05:44:27 PM by Eddy »

paulmars

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 06:16:44 PM »
He has no spyware protection.

He uses some off name AV and did not know about the need to keep defs updated.

I realize that this puts him at great risk and have told him such. However, he has had no problems (that he knows of) until this occurrence with my e mail.

I deleted it after I forwarded it, and so did he.

I was hoping to find specific info about this particular event, to illustrate to him exactly what happened and what he needs to do to protect his system. Attaching recipient's My Documents to an incoming e mail sounds like someone is just writing code to "freak" people who receive this.

I have found nothing about this in my web searches.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 02:29:44 AM »
Malware can do all kinds of things. My guess is that his system is loaded with it. I suggest you let him do as explained on the "malware removal page" which can be reach if you click on the link in my signature.