Author Topic: Avast icon is not in my tool-bar anymore  (Read 9972 times)

msneedles

Avast icon is not in my tool-bar anymore
« on: December 02, 2004, 06:03:19 PM »
Avast icon is not in my tool-bar anymore. Here is what I have done so far.
Rebooted x 2 which did not work, so I went to add remove and did a repair and of course I rebooted as it asked. Still no Icon in tool-bar. Did you all remove from the win tool-bar icon?
Thanks
Oh and I use XP SP1 all updates without SP2
Ms Needles
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 06:05:50 PM by msneedles »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast icon is not in my tool-bar anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 06:27:31 PM »
Did you all remove from the win tool-bar icon?

No, it's there.
Do you have a Windows Registry key called:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\avast!
and the program ashDisp.exe there?

In fact, SP2 will give you much more protection... Why don't you get it?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

msneedles

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 07:23:26 PM »
Did you all remove from the win tool-bar icon?

No, it's there.
Do you have a Windows Registry key called:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\avast!
and the program ashDisp.exe there?

In fact, SP2 will give you much more protection... Why don't you get it?  ::)

No I do not have that. I went to the registry and it could not find it. Should I download the new program and just do an uninstall / reinstall of the newest software? It is OK for me!

I did the SP2 and I lost access to my rewriter...but I plan to update it in mid spring hoping by than Microsoft and or Nero will have it all fixed by than. I am on dial-up and it was too much to download at Nero to fix the problem.
Tanks let me know what to do.
Ms Needles

Neron

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:11:08 PM »
What??????You mean that if i install SP2 i won't be able to use my rewriter with Nero burning rom????????? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 09:04:36 PM »
There is a supposed compatibility issue with Nero 6 ROM and XP SP2, when you try to use it a warning window pops-up, you can go to the Nero website and download a Nero 6 patch for SP2 (about as big as the original Nero program).

I didn't bother doing this being on dial-up, so I just ignored the warning and went ahead (no pun intended), to see what would happen. No problems, I can still use Nero 6, I just ignore the warning about compatibility.

This may or may not be the same for everyone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

msneedles

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:54:48 PM »
yeah so did I (ignore) and I lost two CD's before I figured out it was the service pack. Installed it and wallah all was fine again. And like you I went to Nero and Dang that is a large fix.
BTW I am using 5.??
So I am waiting.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:00:53 AM by msneedles »

msneedles

Did you guys forget me?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 11:59:11 PM »
BTW my Avast is still there and working. I did a scan all was fine I did a anti-spy scan all is fine. It is set to auto update but really would like the ICON back please!!!  :P
Ms Needles

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Did you guys forget me?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
But really would like the ICON back please!!!  :P

Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
Did you have in the past?
Which one?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

You can add that registry key manually but I think the steps I posted before should solve your problem.

Last one, can you check if you have the value ShowTaskbarIcon=1 on the [AAVM] section of the avast4.ini file? See 'Settings' on my signature for more info...

Neron

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 01:33:02 PM »
My version of Nero burning rom is:
If so is this bad or good and what to do?I don't care about the warning messages just want everything to work properly.
P.S.I'm sorry if there is a confusion becouse of my post.Just don't want to start the same thing again ;) ??? ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 02:46:43 PM »
There is a possibility your version of Nero will not be compatible with XP SP2 (if Nero 6 a later version has compatibility issues 5.5 may also), that is something you will have to find out for yourself.

Check out the Nero website for compatibility, you may be able to download a patch.

Check out the MS website and search for SP2 section, see if Nero 5.5 is one of the 200+ programs that may not work or have compatibility issues with SP2.

You could update your Nero to the latest retail version (have to pay though).

There truly is only one way to find out and that is to try it. However there could be other old programs that could have issues with XP SP2. I would suggest you get some image backup software so you can do a full backup of your system so you can return to SP1 if you have too many problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

msneedles

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 02:59:07 PM »
Technical I have not used any other in the last year and a half I guess. anyway I am going to redownload and uninstall/install the news one.

Neron

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »
No, :) I'm with win 98 se but soon i will make full format and install XP.and was wondering should i install SP2 when there are so many problems.I now about system restore but don't know how to use it and i don't know anything about backup-ing files :) :P :-[ :-\
Another question.My friend who has XP told me that the last update screwd his system(not SP2) but he maked system restore and everything is fine now.I'm disappointedfrom microsoft-so many problems and i think that it's better to stay on 98 becouse it's more safe!(without the windows updates my computer will at least work) :-[ :'( :'( :'( ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 03:40:37 PM »
Technical I have not used any other in the last year and a half I guess. anyway I am going to redownload and uninstall/install the news one.

Let us know what happened  8)

msneedles

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 08:53:02 PM »
All is well that ends well. ;)
Thanks Neron for taking over! I needed help with Avast, not SP2 advise. It is all yours now! I am done!

gothic

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 07:51:01 AM »
I have tried the suggestions above. Downloaded most recent version, re-installed etc. but the taskbar icon keeps disappearing.
Please, how do I make it stay??
p.s. I am using WinXP SP1