Author Topic: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall  (Read 131702 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
smooth as baby oil rubbing your backside so you can slide across the floor easy ;)
Are we recommending firewalls or baby oil ??? ;) what you do at home with baby oil Speedy should be kept private ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2012, 09:43:56 AM »
smooth as baby oil rubbing your backside so you can slide across the floor easy ;)
Are we recommending firewalls or baby oil ??? ;) what you do at home with baby oil Speedy should be kept private ;D

Well, maybe he can teach us some new tricks... ;D ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

Well, maybe he can teach us some new tricks... ;D ;)
Iv know several tricks but there not for a public forum :-X ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
I'm not that dirty ;D Comodo FW has given my PC to much rust and it can't run any smoother, because it keep slowing down like a crash dummy in a car in slow motion. That why I used Outpost Pro FW because it keep my PC running smooth as it glide much easier, beside my PC in my baby that why I have to look after it keep it clean and tidy using baby oil for some PC hardware parts from going rusty.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline TomasAC

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
i have installed OA Free, it comes with its own Web Shield, Keylogger and Program Guard, should i disable them or there isn't any compatibility issue with avast?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »
As far as I know I have only Window's Firewall.  Is that enough protection?

I have Windows 7 64 bit SP1 and my husband uses XP 64 bit SP3.  His computer is connected through my router and he too has only Window's Firewall. 

I wouldn't have any idea of how to use any of the firewalls that were mentioned in this topic.

???  :-[

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2012, 06:39:53 AM »
i have installed OA Free, it comes with its own Web Shield, Keylogger and Program Guard, should i disable them or there isn't any compatibility issue with avast?
OA's shield work differently to avast so all you have to do is exclude OA in the avast file system shield and all the avast processes in OA should be set to allow all.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »
As far as I know I have only Window's Firewall.  Is that enough protection?

I have Windows 7 64 bit SP1 and my husband uses XP 64 bit SP3.  His computer is connected through my router and he too has only Window's Firewall. 

I wouldn't have any idea of how to use any of the firewalls that were mentioned in this topic.

???  :-[
If you dont really understand firewalls then your better off sticking with the windows firewall as the win7 firewall is quite good, as for your husbands system im not sure if any of the firewalls mentioned will be compatable with 64bit xp.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
W7 firewall is quite good as Craigb said, however XP windows firewall is not very good because it doesn't block outbound traffic this is why you need a 3rd party firewall that control and monitored both traffic inbound and outbound traffic not just one traffic.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
...as for your husbands system im not sure if any of the firewalls mentioned will be compatable with 64bit xp.

Yes, XP 64bit is a quite "exotic" OS and rarely supported.

@midnight: There's no SP3 for XP 64bit, so you should recheck your husband's OS...!!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Soulfear

« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
Sorry to necro such topic but is the issue between avast web shield and windows 7 firewall fixed or not at all? please do not tell me to search since after nearly 20 minutes i got this thread.

Please also do not tell me to use another firewall for better outbound control.

Thanks

iroc9555

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »

Soulfear

« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
hi iroc9555,

thanks for the welcome.

that post leads to comodo fw and avast.

my question was the windows 7 firewall issue that was initially an issue.

thank you for the help.

iroc9555

« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
hi iroc9555,

thanks for the welcome.

that post leads to comodo fw and avast.

my question was the windows 7 firewall issue that was initially an issue.

thank you for the help.

That post also states at the beginning:

If you are running Windows 7 make sure you got CIS 5.12 ( Firewall and D+ only. No AV ) to have complete control on your outbound connections...

That was the issue between Avast! and Comodo running in W7. No outbound control over program connections.

Arnold72

« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
Webshield is one of the most important shields and your first line of defence so by no means should you disable it :o

If you have to have Comodo then i would suggest waiting for there next release or imo there are better firewalls such as Outpost, Online Armor, Privatefirewall which work great with avast.
and you still haven't answered my questions from the last post

I believe i have answered as webshield is your first line of defence, there are more troubles on the net than just java and flash - what about Malware ( viruses, trojans ) coming from infected webpages :o as mentioned you should definitely not disable the webshield, i'd rather stick to the default windows firewall with no outbound protection than disabling the webshield.

Iv got two lifetime licenses for outpost pro firewall so that would obviously be my first recommendation but the free version requires you to install the free suite in custom install without all the others features as there is no stand alone free firewall, my next choice would be Online Armor which has a free standalone version.

Filehippo shows there is a free standalone version of outpost. :-\
It seems an outdated firewall but it is there nonetheless. :)