Author Topic: Email Virus Hoax (virtual card for you)  (Read 2562 times)

wild

Email Virus Hoax (virtual card for you)
« on: December 03, 2004, 11:19:15 PM »
Hello all :)

Just a quick question, i received an email from a collegue which read 'A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft (www.microsoft.com) and by McAfee (www.mcafee.com) as the most destructive ever!'
Now i have found out this is a hoax but am curious as to know why avast has not listed it in the search criteria while other antiviruses such as sophos and even norton have?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Email Virus Hoax (virtual card for you)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 11:24:29 PM »
There is no application that can detect all malware. Very unfortunatly, but that is the way it is and always will be. Therfor you need to have several applications if you want to keep your system clean.

And why would Alwil add a hoax to the vps detection list? It is not harmfull, so why should it be detected?

wild

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 11:46:40 PM »
Yeah i guess so, it just would have been nice to display that roumers of this virus was just a hoax and nothing to be worried about.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 12:07:47 AM »
There are websites dedicated to this type of thing, virus myths/hoax, a search on google should also turn up info on the virus/hoax, etc.

www.vmyths.com is just one such site. Hoaxes are as much of a pain as the real thing, they clog mail servers as people pass them on. Never pass on a virus warning, the ignorant don't bother anyway and those intelligent enough keep their systems and AVs up to date.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security