Author Topic: Advices to have my computer safe  (Read 3655 times)

warnolo

Advices to have my computer safe
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
Hello again.

I'm here again after my McAfee subscription has ended, so I wanted to know what programs could I use to keep my computer safe, beside having avast.

Also i wanted to know if there would be any problem if i keep Avast and McAfee at the same time, because i like their web warning service, pointing out which web is safe and which isn't.

Well, thank you for reading this and giving me advice.

akama1

Re: Advices to have my computer safe
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »
get avast 7 free and comodo firewall :) uninstall mcafee... and if you want their web warning service... avast does it better with its network shield and webrep but u can try mcafee siteadvisor :)

if you need the link : www.siteadvisor.com

true indian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
i suggest WOT is better than mcafee siteadvisor

WOT: www.mywot.com/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:22:38 PM by true indian »

Béňa

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
In my opinion installing Comodo firewall is useless, because Windows have integrated firewall. On Windows Vistas and 7s the firewall is good. On the default settings incoming connection is prohibited and outcoming connection is allowed. This is very good setting for most users. No ask, firewall is silent.

Web Of trust (WOT) - this is good, but in the Internet Explorer takes up enough space alike avast! WebRep. WOT is equally avast! WebRep.

Side by side avast! I prefer to install Spybot Search&Destroy or Spyware Blaster becausethese antispywares protect Internet Explorer and Mozilla firefox and Opera against danegous cookies, domains, etc. And your homepage is lock by hijack-attack. If you install lot of freeware programs, google , ASK, Yahoo! and many companies impose their fuck programs, for example toolbars, search services, etc. And change your homepage. This is irritaing.

But the most important is early install updates for Windows and many programs (princippaly Adobe's programs). This is first defense.

akama1

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
In my opinion installing Comodo firewall is useless, because Windows have integrated firewall. On Windows Vistas and 7s the firewall is good. On the default settings incoming connection is prohibited and outcoming connection is allowed. This is very good setting for most users. No ask, firewall is silent.

Web Of trust (WOT) - this is good, but in the Internet Explorer takes up enough space alike avast! WebRep. WOT is equally avast! WebRep.

Side by side avast! I prefer to install Spybot Search&Destroy or Spyware Blaster becausethese antispywares protect Internet Explorer and Mozilla firefox and Opera against danegous cookies, domains, etc. And your homepage is lock by hijack-attack. If you install lot of freeware programs, google , ASK, Yahoo! and many companies impose their f**k programs, for example toolbars, search services, etc. And change your homepage. This is irritaing.

But the most important is early install updates for Windows and many programs (princippaly Adobe's programs). This is first defense.
comodo firewall with defense+ is one of the best you can get around.... your comp gets really highly secured like that trust me :)

true indian

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
comodo firewall with defense+ is one of the best you can get around.... your comp gets really highly secured like that trust me :)

The comment by akama is only good if u are a advanced user and a guy who really likes to read....cozz Defense+ gives some pop ups on many safe and unsafe applications with descriptions and asks u what to do...Dont what to scare u just informing.

so a yes or no can seriously screw your computer....

bare in mind if u dont want to take the tension of falling in such trouble go for malwarebytes pro or spybot Search and destroy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:50:50 PM by true indian »

Béňa

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »

Yes, I am not say, that Comodo Firewall is not good. But in my opinion for most users Windows firewall is ample. By the way, most people have a router or modem or AP with integrated hardware firewall. Why install another firewall? ;-) Combination HW firewall and WIndows firewall is good.

I can't develop this debate to quarrel. :-)

warnolo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
Well, i guess i can just install Avast for now. Can it work well with other programs? Like malwarebytes or McAfee.

akama1

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
Well, i guess i can just install Avast for now. Can it work well with other programs? Like malwarebytes or McAfee.
malwarebytes yes mcafee NO.... but if mcafee siteadvisor then yes

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
malwarebytes yes mcafee NO.... but if mcafee siteadvisor then yes

Rather than Mcafee SiteAdvisor, you may opt for avast's WebRep. The feature is available in the free version of avast.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

warnolo

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
can i uninstall mcafee after i instaled Avast? or that would give me any trouble?

Sorry for so many questions, but after getting one hard visus that forced me to restore the system i got pretty paranoid.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
can i uninstall mcafee after i instaled Avast? or that would give me any trouble?

No, please uninstall McAfee first.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0