Author Topic: Licensing Question  (Read 6556 times)

bba

Licensing Question
« on: August 22, 2003, 04:04:15 PM »
I work for a public school system (k-12) which is obviously a non-profit orginization.  Im curious if we would qualify for the home user.

I was doing some research and your software was highly recommended by many people on an IRC channel I frequent.

Anyway, I read through some of the FAQ's but couldn't make hide-nor-hair of the actual licensing other than home users get it for free.  Maybe someone could point me to the right direction.

Pavel Baudis

Re:Licensing Question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 04:25:40 PM »
I work for a public school system (k-12) which is obviously a non-profit orginization.  Im curious if we would qualify for the home user.

I was doing some research and your software was highly recommended by many people on an IRC channel I frequent.

Sorry, but the rules are clear - home AND non-commercial use. We have to earn some money from the rest of the user community to be able to develop and mainain our products. I would like to quote one of my favourite software author (it's 12 years old quote)  :D:

... since Dan and the hard-working people at XXX would not receive any money for the effort that has gone into this product and Dan's two beautiful children will be forced to live in the street, begging for scraps of potatoes.

Anyway, you can try to send the e-mail to sales@avast.com and ask for some school discount there...

bba

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 05:22:35 PM »
Sorry, i guess im confused by the non-commercial aspect.  

com·mer·cial    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (k-mûrshl)
adj.

Of or relating to commerce: a commercial loan; a commercial attaché.
Engaged in commerce: a commercial trucker.
Involved in work that is intended for the mass market: a commercial artist.
Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.
Having profit as a chief aim: a commercial book, not a scholarly tome.
Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising: commercial television.  

Anyway, I wanted to check into the licensing, as we are typically considered non-profit, non-commercial.  We are very strict about our licensing policy (to the point of being anal).  Thanks for your time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 03:50:15 AM »
I work for a public school system

I cannot believe the government could not pay the lowest license price on the market... Although, I´m a home user and have avast! for free.
Can´t you ask your boss to pay for it?  ;)
The best things in life are free.